Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cats on 97 boxster

Can the cats be deleted? I see pp has delete pipes, but for slightly newer models, would like any info or suggestions.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes they can, the question is is it worth it and why do you want to do it. If you want better performance and or sound then replace the headers and intermediate pipes.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I thought cats were jus something needed for states with emissions testing and were restrictive and cars run better with out them, what would be the reason to keep them?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

If you remove the cats, the fuel injection system will know and will trigger a check engine lamp, which means your car will not pass any emissions testing. It will also be difficult to resell later on. The catalytic converter doesn't restrict the system that much to make it worth removing them, in my opinion.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
2001 Boxster owner

During the historic moment now referred to as "Mike went to a Porsche dealer even though he owns Wayne's book", they detected a rattle inside of the catalytic converter. They stated they never open up or work on a catalytic converter, they just replace them.
Their advice was "let it fail, the replacement part is $1300, not including the labor to bolt it onto the engine".
So, if you take it off, keep in mind it's an expensive part to replace if that day should ever arrive. Here in California, there's no option to remove one as cars are regularly required to pass an emissions test.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had my car re-programmed to run without cats when I did the engine conversion. As Wayne says, you can't just take them out.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: