Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Inquisitive user

Garage
After Market Covertible Tops

As I have posted elsewhere. My plastic window in my top tore a couple of weeks after I bought my car, 1999. I have been quoted $500 for a new window. Which to me sounds high. But the top has other issues as the beading on the edges of the sides where it slides into the channels is slightly worn as well.
Just did a quick search for tops and found this. Plus it has a glass window.
Has anyone on here tried or installed one of these. Price seems to good to be true. But hey. I'm fairly new to this thing. And one thing I have found is some parts are way less expensive than I would expect. And some are just nutz.

1997-2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible Top
Thanks for your thoughts, Randy

Last edited by randy_k; 05-03-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They look pretty good to me as well. I was considering installing it myself but am not sure. I spoke to a friend who did his own install and if he had it to do over he would use a pro installer. Hmmm...
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwenz View Post
They look pretty good to me as well. I was considering installing it myself but am not sure. I spoke to a friend who did his own install and if he had it to do over he would use a pro installer. Hmmm...
Wonder if I could get a manual from them, without ordering the top? That would give me an indication of which way to go. Or, maybe someone on here has done it themselves?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jupiter 911

Hey Randy, I purchased that exact top over two years ago and found it was extremly well made. I was nervous about installing it so I used a pro, a very small shop who did a fantastic job, he charged me six hundred but I felt for a total investment of around 1,200 I was still way ahead. Two years later and it still looks brand new.
Euro pistons and cylinders.
2002 Boxster Artic Silver/Wifes ride.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwenz View Post
They sent me a PDF file of the manual for installation. If your interested. Message me with your email address and I'll send it to you. It may be helpful in your decision, to do it yourself or a professional doing it. Mike Focke also has a guide to top replacement on his site.
Randy
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_k View Post
Wonder if I could get a manual from them, without ordering the top? That would give me an indication of which way to go. Or, maybe someone on here has done it themselves?
The tech articles section is your friend. Check out our article on this: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987

It wasn't easy. I'm not fond of tops, so I had Jared perform the installation on this Boxster. He didn't like it either, although once you perform the replacement once, then it gets much easier after that.

-Wayne
Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have a top in great condition with a cracked poor window on a 2001. Without taking a torx wrench out and taking the roof apart to find out for myself is it easier or more basic to take out the cloth to just replace the window? Can it even be done or is it the same difficulty as replacing the complete top? Does the cloth slide or come of the roof frame? Thanks ahead folks!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

All these questions are covered in a series of articles by Maurice indexed here

thetop-itsmaintaince&replacement - mikefocke2
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So this top is not lined? Right?

Can you reuse your existing liner?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: