Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

IMS disaster avoided

So I finally did my first oil change since buying my 1997 Boxster two months ago, I didnt do one right after I bought it because PO had done one less then a week before the purchase. I have only put about 2k on it since I got. Anyways to get to the point from all the info this site has provided I checked the oil filter very carefully and here is some pics of what I found.

I want to add the car has 133k on it, there is no funny sounds or leaks. The only thing it did is when car was on at idle the rpms would go up and down a bit, around 100-200 rpm differance, very little. I did clean the MAF and it got better, stayed stable, but do recall it doing it once again. Parts have been ordered, when I pull the bearing out I will post pics of it. As of now car is garaged and the bimmer has been put back on duty.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
newlife

Garage
Looking forward to your photos...

Rod
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
And the fragments were bearing material? Hard to tell from the pics. THey stuck to a magnet? Yep looking forward to the bearing shots. Good find. Pays to check the filter for sure.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes they did stick to magnet, also took it to a porsche mechanic for 2nd opinion, he also checked to see if they stuck to a magnet. I mean I knew I was gonna have to do it, just didnt want to do it now. 133,000 miles was a good run on original bearing.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Yes, please post pics. We got our IMS kits in today, I'm going to inspect them prior to adding them to the catalog.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was hoping to buy a pp kit, could have saved some dough. I will post pics as soon as I get it out, hope to do it in the next week or so.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: