Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'99 Tiptronic shift problems

'99 Boxster Tip
114K miles

Around 113K miles, noticed shifter getting a bit stiff. Shifter got increasingly stiff, and finally would not go into Park, thus ignition key would not come out.

Read up on the subject a bit and have done the following:

1. Removed shift knob, center console, and unattached keylock cable to free up key removal. Check.
2. Inspected shift selector cable, which appears fine at front--however,found that front adjuster ( spring-loaded plastic sleeve) has "threads" inside which look a bit stripped out.
I suppose this could cause looseness or binding. Can the plastic adjuster be replaced ( better yet with a more HD metal piece with a threaded adjusting nut? The front plastic adjuster/cable retainer seems very weak and not a very good design IMO.
3. Removed shift selector cable per Workshop Manual instructions.
4. Ordered new cable (from Germany)--will be delivered in one week or so.
5. Noted that metal rear cable end screw-on "loop" attachment piece
at defelector lever attachment seemed a bit loose when removing cable, but suspect that is not the problem. Rubber boot on cable was cracked and worn out.

Also noted that metal heat shield on top of exhaust at left/rear/shifter cable side was loose and in incorrect position. Screw missing on top. Will replace and tighten.

Suspect that problem is bushings at deflector lever have become jammed/stiff which causes stiffness at shift lever and inability to engage Park.

Question:
How do I shift the trans into Park with the cable removed? Instructions for cable replacement say "Move selector lever and transmission to P position". Is there a tool to push on the deflector lever or push rod?

Can the deflector lever and bushings be removed/service/replaced with trans in the car?
It seems VERY tight in the space around those parts with trans in the car.

Any help much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bump.

Nobody?

I can simplify the question:

How to fix "stiff shift" problem on Tiptronic?

cheers..........
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you are not alone - I have the sameproblem with my 99 - 113,000 miles - have you found a solution?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am having a similar problem with my 2008 tiptronic

shifter gets stiff particularly if interior of car sits in sun and gets very hot

Old 05-22-2020, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: