Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can't remove nut from where positive battery cable connects ...

Hey guys,

This morning when I went to reconnect by battery cables to my battery, the positive cable had corrided so bad, it just fell apart. The water drain hole on the passenger side of the front trunk was clogged up, and water had pooled there, enough to cover where the positive cable connects I suppose. Well anyways, the cable was corroded through, and I went out and bought a new one.

Well .... then I tried to remove the nut that was holding on the last piece of the old battery cable. The nut was covered in rust/corrosion, and I had to use a wire brush to clear it ... and once it was clear, i hit it with some penetrating oil/wd40, and then used a deep socket to try and loosen it. The socket gripped decently for the first 5 seconds, then it slipped, and basically made my nut a circle. I'm guessing it was just too corroded and soft?

Anyways, now the socket wont grip on there, and I've tried smaller ones as well, nothing.

So I walked 12 miles to an autozone, and bought a nut splitter. When I got back home, I was sure I had this situation under control ... but the nut splitter wouldn't fit in the space due to the white plastic covering like deal. So I filled that down, and went to re attach the splitter - it actually started to make a dent in the nut, but the splitter wasn't exactly level with the side of the nut because it's against a wall, it didn't cut evenly through it. So then I tried to use the chisel out of the splitter, and attach it into a small socket, and hammer away. It butchered the nut because the chisel was 1/4th in, and wasn't snug in the socket, so I couldn't really control it.

I don't know what to do next ... I was thinking about using a butane torch to heat up the nut, and then squirt cold water onto it to rapidly cool it, and hope that helps loosen it? Second option is going to home depot, and getting a real chisel, and taking care of this bolt.

What happens if I strip this bolt? From the looks of it, I'll be bending over at a porsche mechanic/dealership
Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would NOT heat it, it's encased in plastic and it will melt the box behind the firewall then you will have to buy a whole new unit and pay someone big bucks to install it. Do you have a harbor freight near by? they seel special socket for this kind of situation that will take it off in the meantime soak it with wd40.

9 Piece 3/8" Drive Metric Bolt Extractor Sockets
Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As Harry said, it's encased in plastic. It is also the back side of the 'Current Distributor Block', the main connection point for all of the circuits.

That rusty bolt is going to haunt you. All of the electrical connections run through it. If the nut doesn't come off easy, and clean up nice, then I'd replace the distribution block. Should be easy to find at a dismantler.

(edit: I just saw that Harry is parting a boxster S. It may be the same part.)

Last edited by dad911; 07-17-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Update - after working on it for 13 hours, and walking back and forth to autozone numerous times... I finally found a solution. I called my friend who works with electronics, and we pulled back to passenger side carpet and removed the whole distributor. Then we went to home depot and borrowed some hammers and went to town on the bolt ... If you hammer it from behind it will slide out. The entire thing was rusted. I put some channel locks on the washers behind the nut that was stripped and the entire thing just dissolved. I can't imagine that stuff was good for conduction ...

So we bought a 5/16th 3in bolt, about 15 washers, few lock washers and 2 nuts. We replaced the bolt and refilled it with new washers and re installed it. So far everything is good to go, car started up perfectly.

I'll update with pictures tonight.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: