Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ron,

I posted an answer a few weeks ago but see it did not post.

I installed an aftermarket top, A5 acoustic canvas with the glass defroster window. It took around 10 hours to complete. I had studied the process for several hours so that I could have done it without a manual. It was every helpful to have 3 sources of photos: the 101projects book, the "outtake" photos from the book which are posted on this website, and the article from Mike Focke. At every step I paused and when I removed something from the top, ie the aluminum frame that guides the top over the window and B pillar, I would immediately reattach it to the new top.

I did replace the plastic sliders at $13 ea. Do not use the thick foam double sided tape. Instead use a thin variety. Also, it was helpful to constantly move the top frame forward and back to improve access at the various steps.

It is very doable. I am an eye surgeon, so I am a bit obsessive and this helped. Be ready to go slowly and to back up if need be. Best to do this when you have 1-2 alone in the garage with a friend or like me my Dad. It was a good bonding experience!

Good luck.

Paul
Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyemd View Post
Ron,

I posted an answer a few weeks ago but see it did not post.

I installed an aftermarket top, A5 acoustic canvas with the glass defroster window. It took around 10 hours to complete. I had studied the process for several hours so that I could have done it without a manual. It was every helpful to have 3 sources of photos: the 101projects book, the "outtake" photos from the book which are posted on this website, and the article from Mike Focke. At every step I paused and when I removed something from the top, ie the aluminum frame that guides the top over the window and B pillar, I would immediately reattach it to the new top.

I did replace the plastic sliders at $13 ea. Do not use the thick foam double sided tape. Instead use a thin variety. Also, it was helpful to constantly move the top frame forward and back to improve access at the various steps.

It is very doable. I am an eye surgeon, so I am a bit obsessive and this helped. Be ready to go slowly and to back up if need be. Best to do this when you have 1-2 alone in the garage with a friend or like me my Dad. It was a good bonding experience!

Good luck.

Paul
Thanks Paul for all your help. I read through the 101 description and Mike's and since I have no garage, no tools, no dad, no son and the only friends I have, that are still alive, don't live close by I've decided to pay a pro to do it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Paul.....I spliced in the 10ga. to the 14. In hind sight I think that using two bullet/tube connectors would work well also.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Location: Travel the world and have lived in multiple locations. Currently in the SF Bay Area
Garage
Defroster Wire Routing?

Good day everyone,

New to the forum, so i apologize ahead of time for any bruised toes!

i know this is an old post but am here hoping someone will be able to help me.
new car for me (2001 Boxster 986), and the previous owner had a GAHH top installed but never hooked up the defroster.

Thanks to this thread, i can see it is relatively easy to do, but how do i best route the wire to the plug, so it does not get pinched when the top is put down? and how to best hold it in place on the window and on its way to the plug?
thanks for your time,
dre

Last edited by dres2001; 11-27-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I have a 2001 986 base. My rear window is shot and has been for a year or two. Fortunately, I also have a hard top, which I happen to think looks better anyway. However, I intend to replace the top before spring. New paint too! At that time I'll install one with a glass window.

My car didn't have a hard top from the factory. I had to install the kit to make it work. However, it did already have the defroster connector and the hard top had a pigtail attached. It was plug and play. It has always worked great.

To those of you who have replaced their top and upgraded to a glass window with a defroster...can't you just order a new top with a pigtail for the defroster? A window that has an integrated defroster without the pigtail seems pointless.

By the way, if anyone can recommend a good quality top manufacturer, I'd appreciate it!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

FWIW (not much) the need for 10 ga wire is a reflection of the quality of the defroster provided with the aftermarket top. Neither the OE hardtop or the OE glass window on 2003-4 models require that.
'01 Boxster
Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: