Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
John Bosmans

Rear Defroster help

99 Boxster. PO had a new top installed with Glass. It appears that whomever installed it failed to re-connect the rear defroster wiring. I have looked high and low for these wires and can not find them.

The window does have the connectors attached to it....but no wiring.

How would I go about installing the required wiring and re-connecting the defroster?

I.e where does the wiring originate and what gauge wire, what type of connectors?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Per 1998 Bentley wiring diagram, there is a connector (X15) left side ahead of rear wheel, 1 Brown wire, 1 grey/green. This is for the hardtop option defroster.

I think, but am not sure, glass rear window was introduced later. I don't see how the soft window would have a defroster.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Update.

I now see where the wires originate (behind the drivers seat in a flip up compartment). And if I understand correctly the flat connectors on the window itself are (one positive and one negative).

So that leaves me with 2 questions..

1. Where could I find the connector (looks like 2 pin male) that plugs into the flip top compartment. Or how could I rig it?

2. What type/gauge of wire do I need?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

check out this link

1997-2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible Top

this is a company that manufacture the tops.
maybe they will sell you the cable only.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

this is how the cable looks like

you will be able to find it here 1997-2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible Top

Last edited by Meirschwartz; 11-26-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When the top was upgraded the owner probably didn't want to spend the $$$$ on the wire harness. That is probably why you can't find it. It isn't there.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
John Bosmans

nosnow...you are probably right....$159 for a simple wiring harness is a bit steep.

Why couldn't I make a harness for 10$. The connectors on the windows are simple flat connectors that are already in place. Flexible wire, (maybe 14ga.) to connect to each. And then some simple male bullet terminals, one for each wire to connect to the plug behind the drivers seat.

This could.....maybe work?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The problem end is the one that fits into the switch, but I have not attempted it. You are right you could probably make this fairly cheap, another way to go is used. dcAutomotive or other Porsche wrecking yards may have this part and might not charge you a lot.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

Since you are not going to disconnect it frequently (or even not at all) just connect the wires and that's it. 16 AWG wires will do the job.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
John Bosmans

So, I finally got around to rigging up a rear defroster wiring harness.....tired of the frost on the back window!

I used 16ga. wire, 2 flat connectors (attached to window) and 2 female tube connectors (attached to plug-in behind drivers seat).

Tested it this morning and it worked HOWEVER......

It took a VERY long time to clear the window...like 20 minutes!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Try using a larger gauge wire like 12 or even 10. The problem as I see it is that a small gauge wire like 16 acts as a competing load for what is essentially a resistor glued to the window. You have to send current to the true load, or in this case the window defroster, without it getting hung up on the greater resistance created by the smaller gauge wire. Side benefit is that the larger gauge wire will be a little more robust and less prone to breakage when you inevitably yank it out.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbm3 View Post
Try using a larger gauge wire like 12 or even 10. The problem as I see it is that a small gauge wire like 16 acts as a competing load for what is essentially a resistor glued to the window. You have to send current to the true load, or in this case the window defroster, without it getting hung up on the greater resistance created by the smaller gauge wire. Side benefit is that the larger gauge wire will be a little more robust and less prone to breakage when you inevitably yank it out.

adbm.....Thank you....I had a feeling that was it but you confirmed it for me.

Thank You Very Much!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
When you swap gauges, let us know if it worked?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
When you swap gauges, let us know if it worked?
I switched to 10ga. wire and larger flat connectors. SUCCESS!

Window Clears in 3 minutes and the total cost was less than $10!

Being that a "New" wiring harness would have cost me $159, Id say I did pretty good.

Thanks all for the help
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
John Bosmans

This is the $159 version. Mine may not look as pretty but hell, it works!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Defroster Wiring Hrness

Hi John99Boxster,

I just finished installing a new top on my '99 Boxster. Whew! I am looking to put together your wiring harness.

Please let me know the exact connectors you used. Did you get these at the Auto Parts store or Radio Shack, etc? Other tips?

Thank you,

Paul
Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyemd View Post
Hi John99Boxster,

I just finished installing a new top on my '99 Boxster. Whew! I am looking to put together your wiring harness.

Please let me know the exact connectors you used. Did you get these at the Auto Parts store or Radio Shack, etc? Other tips?

Thank you,

Paul
Ditto and if you have any more pics that would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Hey guys,

I dont have any additional pics I can get to right now.

Here is what I used to make the harness.

10ga Wire
2 insulated disconnects female (10-12ga)
Optronics Standard Pigtail

All can be purchased at Auto Zone or Oriellys.

The Pigtail is the piece I think you are questioning:

Here is the detailed info from the package at ORiellys:

OPTRONICS
A46PBP
Standard Pigtail

UPC: 047286794605

Let me know if you need more help.

John
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks John that helps. Paul can you offer any advice on your install experience please? What brand of top? What kind of glue? Did you have to replace any parts that are perhaps typical of wearing out? How long did it take you and what were the major problems if any? Thanks!
Ron
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
John,

Did you attach the 10 g wire directly to the pigtail? This is 14 g- how did you couple these together? Could you simply run two separate wires from the glass to the plug with two tube connectors?

Paul
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: