Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Boxster - First Question

Howdy! First post.

I found you via your 101 Boxster project book.

I just bought a one owner 04 Boxster base with 6 speed and 30K miles. All dealer serviced with yearly oil changes. This will be my "on every nice day" driver. I want to do DE at local PCA events here in Dallas.

I plan on doing my own oil changes at every 5K as you suggest.

At 20K, the dealer replaced the RMS, IMS Seal, and the owner went ahead and did a clutch job since they were already "in there".

SO, question....

Whats the next best move for soothe this IMS worry (I can't afford a $18K motor)??

1. Install IMS Guardian til clutch needs to be done & do IMS retrofit at that time

2. Go ahead, bite the bullet, and do the retrofit. (Wish I was handy enough to do it myself!)

3. Buy an extended service warranty for as many yr/miles as I can afford and when the clutch is due, do the retrofit.

4. List to the this advice from a well known local independent Porsche shop. He has 30 years of experience with Porsche said to not worry one moment about the IMS in my 04 and for peace of mind to stop reading internet posts about IMS issues.

BTW... the service advisor at Porsche said in her 8 years at Porsche, she has only had 4 IMS exploded motors.... 3 were under warranty. One was at 100K. The 100K replaced the motor.

Am I missing any other option?

Seeking your advice, wisdom, & guidance.

George in Dallas

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 12-18-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDean View Post
Howdy! First post.

I found you via your 101 Boxster project book.

I just bought a one owner 04 Boxster base with 6 speed and 30K miles. All dealer serviced with yearly oil changes. This will be my "on every nice day" driver. I want to do DE at local PCA events here in Dallas.

I plan on doing my own oil changes at every 5K as you suggest.

At 20K, the dealer replaced the RMS, IMS Seal, and the owner went ahead and did a clutch job since they were already "in there".

SO, question....

Whats the next best move for soothe this IMS worry (I can't afford a $18K motor)??

1. Install IMS Guardian til clutch needs to be done & do IMS retrofit at that time

2. Go ahead, bite the bullet, and do the retrofit. (Wish I was handy enough to do it myself!)

3. Buy an extended service warranty for as many yr/miles as I can afford and when the clutch is due, do the retrofit.

4. List to the this advice from a well known local independent Porsche shop. He has 30 years of experience with Porsche said to not worry one moment about the IMS in my 04 and for peace of mind to stop reading internet posts about IMS issues.

BTW... the service advisor at Porsche said in her 8 years at Porsche, she has only had 4 IMS exploded motors.... 3 were under warranty. One was at 100K. The 100K replaced the motor.

Am I missing any other option?

Seeking your advice, wisdom, & guidance.

George in Dallas
Hi George and welcome! What I'm going to say please don't take in a negative way as I don't mean it that way. It's at the point where it seems every new Boxster owner asks the same question about the IMS issue and it really is a decision you should be making about your car and not relying on people you don't know, on a forum, to make for you because you will get answers all over the board that will range from drive it like you stole it to panic answers that will make you think it's going to go any moment. What the truth is, regarding the IMS failure rate, is really only known by Porsche and they ain't talkin.' Do they fail-yes. Do some owners drive for a hundred thousand plus miles without failure issues-yes. Either way it is an expense to replace the IMS and to replace a motor. So it boils down to you and the amount of money and/or risk you want to take.
I made my decision to replace the IMS with the LN ceramic bearing after almost two years and 12K miles of DE and AX on a car that had 74K on it when I bought it. I replaced it because I was willing to bet $1,800 against $12K, for a new motor, to extend the life of the motor because I decided it is a car I want to keep and not because I based it on what I read on forums.
Whatever you decide to do have fun with your new Boxster as DE is a great way to learn it's capabilities and the legal way to go fast. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No offense taken... trust me, I've read as many of those posts as possible.

Just seeking wisdom from those who have traveled before me.

George
Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi George, welcome and congratulations on the Boxster.

My extended warranty recently ran out. I was planning on putting in the IMS Guardian, until I spoke with my mechanic, Tony Callas. He has recently found a couple of cars that were in the 30K range that the IMS were going. One gave no indication what so ever until they opened it up and found it to be going bad. My 986 is a 2000 MY with just over 30K miles. Since I am going to keep the car for the foreseeable future, I bit the bullet and went with the L&N replacement. For me it was peace of mind. I have been worrying about it for a couple of years. Also did the clutch while we were there.

With the history of your particular car and how you are planning on driving it, I would definitely do the IMS Guardian now and wait 10-15 K miles or when you do the clutch and do the retro fit at that time.

Good luck with what you decide. I know it is a difficult decision.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The problem with waiting for the clutch change is that your clutch is 10k old and may well last another 100k if you shift correctly. So if you are worried, do you want to wait that long?

I always figured from all I had read that the chance of me hitting a dear was much higher than experiencing IMS failure. I don't deny it happens and I don't deny it is expensive to replace the engine with a new or completely re-manufactured one but it doesn't happen that often and there are engines from wrecks that are available to reduce the cost.

The IMS seal change was the outer seal which still leaves you with a bearing of the original material and a lubrication method that is original and not the LN material and oiling method many think superior to that which Porsche used.

Keep in mind there are dozens of failure modes that a Boxster engine can experience and there are improved parts for many of the known to fail parts. But how much are you willing to spend in preventative maintenance against the very small chance of each possible failure and which parts should be the top priority? Everyone has to make that choice for themselves.

Every engine from every manufacturer has failure modes, we just know more about our because we care more.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a ...

2001 Boxster base. I am a firm believer in not spending $ unless I have to. I have had put in the IMS guardian as I do not want to chance it with an exploding motor. I do not have any extended warranty as the $ saved goes towards replacing and fixing. I have spent $2000 on my car since I got it in spring. I have no doubt that I could have spent $10000 if I was so inclined(replace ims with a newer one, replace rms, fix the spoiler motor etc). But I drive this car in our Canadian winters, ice , snow or whatever and risk getting it rearended and totalled . If this happened, then I would replace it with another one. Each person has their own set of values. I value having fun driving it in winter, fixing it where necessary , frequent oil changes. There are no oil leaks on the garage floor so I feel that the rear main seal is good for a while. I am not uptight driving this car in case something fails. It has 40k miles on it and if something breaks then I fix it.
Hope this helps
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Can someone tell me how much is the IMS Gaurdian - alone and installed?

www.E-tekRestorations.com
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The IMS guardian cost me around $400 to buy . Installation cost depends on whether u do it yourself or have somebody do it for you. It is supposed to be 1.5 to 2 hours install.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: