Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Locking doors and horn beep....should it??

Every now and then I get a small beep from the horn when locking the car with the remote. It's pretty faint. My question is should there be a beep every time I lock the doors? Any ideas why mine only works once in a blue moon? The horn works fine from the steering wheel.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2011, 04:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
John Bosmans

Beep is normal. Mine does it every time.
Not sure what would cause it to happen intermittently.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
On my '99 if there is a beep it is because I've left something open typically the arm rest box lid. Before I changed the ash tray to a storage cubby if I left the ash tray door open it would cause a beep. Anything with a switch or electrical connection will cause a beep if not closed properly.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My 2002 Boxster S does this all the time also.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

AS ronster mentioned, the beep is to let you know that one of the areas covered by the auto locking / alarm has been left open. Most likely the center console lid.

1997 Boxster
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mark from SC

Garage
On mine, if I lock it with one-click, it doesn't beep, but double-click, and it beeps. I read somewhere that the beep means it is LOCKED but NOT ARMED. Meaning, for example, that the motion detectors aren't armed with the beeps lock. So, for example, if I kept my dog in the car while I ran into the store, I could lock the car with the beep, and the alarm would not go off, but if I just locked it once (no beep), and the dog moved, the alarm would go off.

Not sure if that is the case here, but that's my $.02 worth...

Mark
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

So, should my car beep when I lock it

I guess I'll have to do some experimenting. It's just that the beep is so faint that it seems like there's maybe a ground issue or something like that. When I say it does it seldom I'm talking weeks apart. Also, I always figured when I hit the fob twice I was just unlocking the car. I'll have to try that one too. I'll let y'all know what I find.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
On my '99 if I push the fob once the car locks and the lights flash twice. If I push it once again the car unlocks and the lights flash once. Anytime it beeps when I lock it I've left something open that has a switch on it. Haven't tried the twice feature mentioned here as I use a red clip when the top's down and don't own a dog yet.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Horn beep

Besides the center console door my wife has found if the front trunk isn't completely latched it will beep. It looks like its closed but needs that second push.
John
81 911 SC
99 986 & other misc street rides
Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I tried the double click on the fob and sure enough the horn beeped loud and clear. I sure wish it would beep once for single click and twice for double click. I tend to find myself wondering if it actually locked if I forget to turn and look for the blinking lights. My range on my fob isn't the greatest either and the locking mechanism is too quiet.

I think I read about the red clip before. Isn't that what you need so the motion sensor will still be engaged with the top down? Are they available from pelican and what is it called?

Jeff
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

it is called......"the red clip"

The Red Clip:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Car should not beep when turning on the alarm. If it does, it means that one of the sensors is not "set" or closed. This alerts you to the fact that some part of your car is not protected. Finding the cause of the beep (and what isn't latched) can be time consuming.

Red clip works great with the top down. I set mine the other day and went back to get something I forgot, reached in, and the alarm went off! Oops.
1997 Boxster BSR POC #254
1988 944 Turbo
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Beep on lock

Interesting thread.
My horn started beeping a month or so ago and I thought that maybe the car thought that it was a Toyota.
Read the book on the door lock with alarm system and puzzled over which interlock it might be.
Someone here mentioned the hood being closed but not operating the interlock.
I opened and closed the hood and the beep went away.
Thanks
John In Tucson
2004 Boxster S
Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
One of the cool things about forums is that you learn things about your car and I learned something from this thread. I tried the double push on the fob button and my car locked, beeped and the front lights came on for about two seconds instead of just flashing twice when the button is pushed once and the doors lock. I'm not certain as to when I would use this feature and prefer the beep-less locking but it is good to know. Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff396 View Post
Every now and then I get a small beep from the horn when locking the car with the remote. It's pretty faint. My question is should there be a beep every time I lock the doors? Any ideas why mine only works once in a blue moon? The horn works fine from the steering wheel.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, my car used to beep now and then no set pattern (Boxter S 2002) found out it was the center console lid not quite shut. I can open the lid on the console then lock the car, this gets a beep. If I close the lid firmly and lock the car no beep.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks all,

Its good to know that I have one less thing to deal with on the car. Also good to know that I'm not the only one who didn't realize how this system worked. The red clip is also a must buy. Now if I could just figure out how to fix my catalytic converter with the loose insides without breaking the bank I'd have everything taken care of that was wrong with the car when I bought it.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2011, 07:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

A used catalytic convertor goes for 150$ on ebay.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: