Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Inquisitive user

Garage
Here is another picture of that tube. It's the shiney new one running over the top of the intake tube.
Randy

PS the engine compartment is cleaner than that now. Due mostly to working on it and getting the dirt off with my hands because of it. (-;

Last edited by randy_k; 07-01-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If your not pulling a vacuum at the cap, then something is disconnected or torn, example would be the hose between the aos and case, or could be your rms edge was sucked in, but you should see something dripping somewhere.
04 S2000
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

If it wasnt leaking when it went in to the shop and now it leaking a lot, it sure seems like something related to the work performed at the shop has caused the dramatic leaking you have now. I would get it back there and tell them to call you when it doesnt leak anymore.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

It's all sorted now. Here is the story:

I took the car back to the shop and the tech took a look at it. The first thing he did was pull the oil cap while the car was running. It came right off but the engine ran fine. He told me that it should run much worse quickly with out the cap on. He pulled the cap off another car that had a good aos and it ran poorly almost immediately. Next he put the car on a rack and we took a look at the leak. The car had leaked so much oil that it was covered but with the car on the rack I could see the oil was leaking from the front of the engine. He cam seals had blown when the aos let go. I had them replace the aos and cam seals. They told me the aos was really old and could have been the orginal one.

I have been driving around for a few days now and man does the car run better. It never ran poorly but it never felt great, the only car I had to compare it to was my 76' 911 and I chalked it up to it being newer and not as much fun to drive. Now it seems to be much more eager to rev and the idol is much smoother and more even. It runs more like my 911 did. Also, it would occasionally burn a little oil on start up, so did my 911 and I did not think anything of it. Now it does not burn any oil on start.

It seems like I had a bad run of luck, but now the car runs much better and I am not freaking out every time I hear a noise when I am driving.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
This is timely. I bought a 2007 Cayman S with 58K miles from a local Porsche dealer on May 10th. They did a 60K service and put on new brakes. I bought an extended drivetrain only warranty from the dealer-just in case.

I decided to change the oil today as I have put about 3500 miles on the car since I bought it. I opened the oil filter just to check and found a few dozen tiny
(@.25mm) shavings in the filter!!! I have never found shavings in the oil filter any of my Porsches.

Unfortunately, I drained the oil into a 20 gallon can I have so there is no way to test the oil. I am thinking IMS problems. I have a durametric but have not run the camshaft variation test. How do you run the camshaft variation test? I think I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say.

What do you guys think?
'10 Carrera 2 with PDK
'99 996-stroked,'83 911SC-Sold,'98 MB C43 AMG-Sunk
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I figured out how to run the camshaft deviation test with the Durametric software. I have zero deviation if I read the graph correctly. Bank 1 is rock steady at .31 and Bank 2 at .86. I don't know what the numbers mean but I assume the important thing is the graph of the two camshafts are completely parrallel. Is this correct?

I also read a little more and the M97 engine does not have a replaceable Intermediate shaft bearing.

Also checked metallic bits with a magnet. About 60% were ferrous.

Should I panic?
'10 Carrera 2 with PDK
'99 996-stroked,'83 911SC-Sold,'98 MB C43 AMG-Sunk
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndeweirdt View Post
I also read a little more and the M97 engine does not have a replaceable Intermediate shaft bearing.

Also checked metallic bits with a magnet. About 60% were ferrous.

Should I panic?
Yes..... Don't start it anymore, tow to the dealer since you have the extended warrentee and let someone quaified determine whats damaged.
04 S2000
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: