Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ruben (guest)

Hi! I have a 2005 Boxster S. I asked my son to refill the windshield washer but told him the wrong trunk...he poured about half to 3/4 gallon of windshield washer fluid in the coolant reservoir. I noticed when I got a warning and asked him...wrong reservoir...HELP! What should I do? I have actually driven the car around 200 miles already. I emptied the reservoir with a vacuum pump and extracted about a gallon's worth of reddish liquid. It is indeed coolant but has the liquified consistency.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Hmmm. To be 100% safe, you could simply flush out the coolant as detailed in the article. However, windshield water fluid is mostly water, as is coolant. If it were my car, I would probably leave it for the short term, and plan to do a coolant flush in the near future.

- Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Be darn sure it was the coolant tank and not the oil tank.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm afraid Mike has a point, the coolant tank would need to be nearly empty (which would have caused the dash coolant display to flash) to add 3/4 gallon of anything to it; I think you may have a larger problem: Windshield washer fluid now in your oil. Not good; park it until you know exactly what happend, then kill him.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-28-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Steve

This is going to be one of those great family stories some day!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

get it flushed as soon as possible. i would not wait

the coolant will gel up, causing water pump and hose issues. the radiators are in the front and there are hosese that can get clogged if you leave it longer.

be sure to flush it, not just drain it. i would get a dealer or good porsche indep shop to do this. be prepared to pay a couple hundred since porsche coolant is pretty expensive (at least it lasts a long time).
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
is there a technical article available by Wayne on flush and replacement of coolant in a 996?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug996 View Post
is there a technical article available by Wayne on flush and replacement of coolant in a 996?
Yes. See the Tech articles here: Pelican Parts.com - Parts, Accessories and Technical Information for all models of Porsche.
Scroll down and look in the yellow column on the left of the page. Find Boxster/996 section and open it up. Look for cooling system and find what you need.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Useless comment: it's not as disgusting (although probably more serious) as pouring anti-freeze into your windshield squirter reservoir, and not discovering it until you squirt it on your windshield when you really need it.

moral: don't store anti-freeze (or anything else) in old gallon jugs labeled "windshield cleaner" and then forget you did it.

Glad you're sorting it out quickly and discovered it right away.

Roger
'08 Boxster S, and over the years a few others. A daily driver 911SC, and a 356B... you guessed it - a Super 90!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Drain the system completely, refill it with proper coolant and right reservoir :-), use the car at normal temps 50 miles or so. Drain the system, refill, drive... and repeat until the coolant color stabilizes. After you're certain is not contaminated - do it once more. Hopefully no further damage has occurred - it shouldn't really. Fun, fun, fun.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Change the oil just to be sure.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well, you are not the first one who wasn't paying attention. I poured regular coolant which I was told may not be good though not serious as yours. Didn't want the sleepless nights and the knife hanging over the head every time I drive. Drained it, filled it will distiller water, got it to circulating temp. Drained it again and did the flush twice. Then filled with Porsche Coolant. Just get it done. You will sleep better.

And JFP has a pint. Tere is something wrong when it took that that much fluid. The process will let you discover the issues. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: