Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cluth replacement ?

Hello everybody !
Clutch on my Boxster 1998, 90000kms is giving signs of trouble, it "jumps" a bit (and sometimes more) on 1st or reverse at low RPM, but it's somewhat intermittent.
As I bought my car at around 85K, don't know how it was driven, but probably will need a clutch replacement, and RMS at the same time, I live in a Montreal north suburb, does somebody can recommend a good independent Porsche garage around Montreal or Laval, dealer is a bit overprice.
Also, when clutch and transmission are removed, is it possible to verify IMS bearing ?
Thanks in advance for any advise on this subject.
Happy Boxster drive to all of you!
Fermin.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i just did the clutch, rms and IMS bearing myself. I would say that you can inspect the IMS bearing, however, if you have gone this far it is adviseable to just replace it. the additional cost would be the cost of the parts, and an extra 1-1.5 hrs labor. It would be a false economy to not replace it if you do a clutch job.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You can inspect the bearing and see if there is a pending problem what you cannot see is if the bearing balls and race are still in good shape. the only real way of telling is by taking the bearing out. since you have it out might as well but another in. If you don't have the money for the ceramic LN bearing then at least get the stock one from Pelican and install that.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for you feedback on this matter. I've found an independent Porsche mechanic that will do the job next week. By the symptoms it is also the flywheel, and he suggest to upgrade to a new kit with a lighter flywheel (also less costly than the heavy one), will do the RMS and as I asked him to inspect the IMS bearing, probably he will suggest also to replace it, or I will!
Best reagrds
Fermin
Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Be careful he is not talking about a light weight flywheel. You need a dual mass flywheel to remove the dynamic out of balance from the engine. Search for light weight flywheel and read up. Alot of controversy about LWFW versus dual Mass flywheel.
Ultimately the decision is yours. I had the LN eng IMS bearing and DMFW replaced and am very happy with the result.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Most people who install lightweight flywheels end up not liking them. They reduce driveability, cause check-engine-lamps to come on (because the engine thinks it might be misfiring), and in general make the car more annoying to drive. Lightweight flywheels are best suited for the track.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have 13K on my LWFW and am pleased my crank has not shattered...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks a lot to everyone for your feedback on this matter.
Yesterday I dropped my car at the garage, and after a road test, we decided to wait before a clutch replacement and etc... nor I nor him could duplicate the symptom that I had before, even last weekend, my car was running as usual. So I left my car for a wheel alignment, oil change and check up.
Had a phone call today and will be picking up my car tomorrow.
Thanks again and have a nice summer!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: