Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broke a Spark Plug Tube

Hi all,
I;m doing a 120k service on my '01 Boxster & have broken a spark plug tube.
Do I need to drain & refill the oil now?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Shouldn't I worry about the pieces that broke out?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Which pieces? Plastic in general is not something to be too terribly concerned about in the engine (as opposed to metal pieces). It will eventually make it's way to the sump probably after it's chopped up by the metal moving parts of the engine. I might not remove the cover to go looking for it because the cover may end up leaking afterwards, and it's in general a pretty difficult task to do with the engine in the car.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That makes me very nervous. I was quite happy at how clean the oil filter looked today.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This is what the tube looks like. that seems like a lot of plastic in the cam housing.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You could always lock out the cams and remove the cam cover as the piece is most likely laying in the bottom of the head. Reseal, reassemble and release the cams and your off...
04 S2000
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great....I need to get rid of this car.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Topping View Post
Great....I need to get rid of this car.
Any higher end performance car is going to be a tad difficult to deal with.With the possible exception of a Corvette. But I had a friend that owned one of those. And it was not perfect by any means. Ask anyone with a Ferrari, Austin, etc. Hell the Triumph Spitfire owned at one point in my life was a handful. If that problem is going to kill you? Then, Yes. getting rid of it may be a good idea. Buy a Honda Civic and see if it puts a smile on your face when you drive it? Not trying to give you a hard time. Just fix it and move on. Or have it fixed. Then buy that Honda.
Randy
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
I have a special tool that I made to remove the tubes, have changed probably 30 sets of tube o-rings with it, can have the tubes out in about 30 seconds once the coils are out......
Maybe I should start selling it........
Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Randy, I have owned Porsche's prior to this one. I know what it means. I'm just getting tired of the stress & worry.

Bell, I can remove the tubes, my issue is the broken piece of plastic that fell into the cam housing.

Thanks for trying to be helpful guys, I appreciate it But this seems to be taking up too much of my weekend time, not the cars fault, but mine.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You could try a shopvac and a clear plastic hose and feed it in the empty tube hole.... you might get lucky and hook to it.
04 S2000
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Inquisitive user

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Topping View Post
Randy, I have owned Porsche's prior to this one. I know what it means. I'm just getting tired of the stress & worry.

Bell, I can remove the tubes, my issue is the broken piece of plastic that fell into the cam housing.

Thanks for trying to be helpful guys, I appreciate it But this seems to be taking up too much of my weekend time, not the cars fault, but mine.
Check out my diary of a high milage 1999 Boxster and see what I have been through. If you have owned a Porsche. Then you know. fFx the problem and move on. I wish nothing but the best for ya buddy. You'll get it figured out.
Randy
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

If you look at a photo of what is under the spark plug tubes, you have the cams and the lifters. I suppose in the worst case scenario, the piece of plastic can clog one of the oil passages, but the odds of that are probably not too high. I think it will work itself into the sump eventually. Removal of the cover in order to go find it is of course be the "correct" thing to do. But, that is not a terribly easy procedure, and then you will have to reseal the cam cover under the car. There's no gasket so you will have to clean out the entire seam and then reseal it. If you don't get it 100%, then the cam cover will leak oil. So you have to pick your poison...

If it were my car, I might just risk it and see if it makes it to the sump. But then again, I have spare engines whereas most people do not.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

use a 3/4" threaded pipe nipple from lowes to get the tubes out.
Just saying for the next guy that is thinking of doing this work.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Brian, what did you end up doing with the broken spark plug tube problem.
After getting all the parts needed from Pelican, I ran in to the same situation this weekend and I'm now stressing out. The broken piece is about an 1"x1/3".
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I wound up leaving it as is. I have since dome an oil change & found nothing in the oil or the filter.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thank you so much for replying. Obviously your engine is still intact right?
I'll probably end up doing the same thing.

For others that might follow this thread:

1.) follow what steveng1993 suggested: use a 3/4" threaded pipe to take out the tubes
2.) remove/unscrew the O2 sensor connector, this will ease the removal of the far end spark plugs and tubes.
3.) use gloves, there can be some sharp edges under there; I ended up slipping the torque wrench while loosening or tightening and hit my knuckles to the point that I had a few scratches afterwards.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: