Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
chain tensioner

I have a 1999 boxster that is leaking profusely from drivers side chain tensioner. Previous owner installed new IMS bearing and must have removed tensioner and seal when he did work. I would like to remove tensioner and install new copper or aluminum sealing ring to stop leak.. Do I need to lock drivers side cams to remove the tensioner?Have done some research from this forum, and believe I should be all right to remove tensioner as long as bearing is still in. ???Tepps

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

no problem at all, as long as you remove one tensioner at a time.
just to be on the safe side, you can lock the crank pulley with 8 mm bolt.
replace both o-ring and washer.
good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
chain tensioner

thanks for reply, previous installer of ims bearing brought over the cam locking tool, and ims tools. He states that the camshaft on drivers side has no grooves for locking tool in place??? this is a 5 chain motor. So the plot thickens, I am leaning towards just removing tensioner and replacing seals. I was going to lock cams, but this seems unlikely if no grooves in back of cams.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepps View Post
thanks for reply, previous installer of ims bearing brought over the cam locking tool, and ims tools. He states that the camshaft on drivers side has no grooves for locking tool in place??? this is a 5 chain motor. So the plot thickens, I am leaning to wards just removing tensioner and replacing seals. I was going to lock cams, but this seems unlikely if no grooves in back of cams.
Someone more expert than me may chime in if I am wrong, but from what I have read up to now the 5 chain motor only needs to be locked on one side. I think you will find the grooves on the other side. Because it is 5 chain there is a lot less tendency for it to jump out of time. If you go to the tech articles on this site (Pelican) replacing the IMS for instance, you will see the diagrams of the 5 and 3 chain engines. You will also find info that will be useful to you.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
2001 Boxter S

in the 5 chains engines, you will need to look the exhaust cam on one side.
there are grooves on the cam.
see pic when locking tool is installed on the exhaust cam on bank 1.
that will be behind the passenger seat.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Chain Tensioner

Hi there! This is an old thread regarding replacing the external tensioners but I hope someone out there can still give a good piece of advice. I have the same issue of the chains rattling during startup and was told that the chain tensioners are getting weak and need replacement. I have searched thru the Boxster forums and have found similar answers but not getting the advise I need. Pardon me but I'm a new Porsche owner and this is my first time to work on one. I have a 1999 Boxster with 5 chain engine.

I heard having to use the camshaft locking tool and the crankshaft locking tool to replace the tensioners, ONE at a time. I will need to replace all three tensioners. With the crankshaft locked at TDC, I can replace the IMS to crankshaft chain tensioner. When replacing the bank 1 (cylinders 1-3) tensioner do I lock the crankshaft at TDC and then pop out the green cap and install the camshaft locking tool into the exhaust cam on bank 1? The tool on the picture shown above from Meirschwartz looks different from the P253 tool Wayne used on his book. hmm. From there, I can then remove and replace the bank 1 tensioner.

Per previous threads, locking the bank 1 side will also lock the bank 2 (cylinder 4-6). Is that correct? From that assumption I can go ahead and replace the bank 2 tensioner or do I have to rotate the engine first to ensure bank 2 (cylinders 4-6) are also at TDC?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of my statements above.

Also, I mentioned the locking tool shown on the picture per Meirschwartz is different from the P253 tool Wayne mentioned in his book. Where can I buy that tool that Meirschwartz showed? Or will either that or the P253 can do the job?
Thanks. I do appreciate any input.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: