Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
123steve909

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 123steve909
borsche boxster 3.2 overheating

hello I have an issue with my 2000 plate Porsche boxster 3.2, any advice would be appreciated

1 the car is overheating and dumping its coolant, the dash seems to work correctly and the gauge is showing above 80c (perhaps 90c)

2 the radiator fans are not running at any point.

3 one pipe to each radiator is hot and the other seems cool, it is the same on both sides, I put my hand into the wheelarch to check this

4 the car has had a new water pump by the previous owner.

5 the car overheats in around 3 miles of normal driving at +25c ambient.

6 the car internal heater runs very hot when set to high temp.

7 I have checked all fuses and they are ok. the relays also seem ok

8 I cant seem to hear the engine coolant fan running, I take it that it would pull cool air from the drivers side rear air vent (rhd car)

im going to but a new water temperature sensor and see if that sorts the issue. im slightly confused by the fact that one pipe to each rad is hot??

as said previously any advice is appreciated

many thanks
steve
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like no coolant flow; stuck thermostat or failed water pump. Do not drive the car until you get this sorted, you can do some serious damage overheating the car.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

quick test of the coolant fans is to turn on the AC and listen to each side. The fans likely would not come on within 3 miles and so I think you have a circulation problem as JFP has identified.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
123steve909

Garage
hi thanks for your replies

I forgot to say that I have turned the ac on and both fans are working when ac is operating. If it was a stuck thermostat, why would the pipe to the radiator in the front wheelarch get hot? I would have thought that both pipes would be cold?

im thinking of fitting the lower temp thermostat anyway so maybe it would be a good time to change it

thanks again for your replies

cheers
steve
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If the car is dumping coolant, I would think the problem is more than a sensor.

If the pipes to the radiators get hot, then the thermostat is opening or at least partially opening.

Perhaps you have an air bubble in the system that is restricting flow or perhaps the water pump is broken. Have you removed the front engine cover to inspect the pump?

Last edited by thom4782; 08-07-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm leaning towards the water pump that has broken fins and is circulating some water but not enough to keep the engine at operating temp.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
123steve909

Garage
Thanks everyone, I will strip it when I fit the new thermostat and keep you posted on what I find

cheers again
steve
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: