Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Variocam Solenoid

I am faced with replacing the solenoid and actuator for the variocam on my '99 Boxster.

Has anyone done this job themselves? I have read about people taking their cars to the dealers for that, but my nearest dealer is over 100 mi. away and I have always done my own work.

I am thinking about dropping the engine and replacing the clutch and doing the IMS upgrade at the same time. Can the solenoid/actuator even be done with the engine in the car?

I just got this car, so am not yet fully familiar with it.

David Nolen
'99 Boxster
'70 911T
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think the solenoid is relatively simple to replace and one can do it with the engine in the car. My impression is that replacing the actuator is much more challenging because one must remove the engine and cam to do so. More experienced people can provide better guidance here.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

fwiw, I had a failed variocam actuator. Replacing this requires re-timing the cams so 24 valves don't go crunch. Not sure if a variocam solenoid requires the same issue or if the term is being used interchangeably. fwiw, my work was done with engine in car by a shop. not cheap.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
fwiw, I had a failed variocam actuator. Replacing this requires re-timing the cams so 24 valves don't go crunch. Not sure if a variocam solenoid requires the same issue or if the term is being used interchangeably. fwiw, my work was done with engine in car by a shop. not cheap.
Changing the solenoid does not require retiming the cams, changing the actuator does.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What has to be removed to get access to the solenoid?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdwn View Post
What has to be removed to get access to the solenoid?
The cam cover on that side. You are also going to need a cam holding tool:

Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks so much. I understand what I am dealing with now. I will get the holding tool and proceed. The cam cover sealant, is it "special" or are there equivalents?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdwn View Post
Thanks so much. I understand what I am dealing with now. I will get the holding tool and proceed. The cam cover sealant, is it "special" or are there equivalents?
Loctite 518, use it sparingly.............
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi, 99 boxster,going to replace solenoid on bank 2. The diy project has instructions to loosen the chain tensioners but I'm not going to remove the cams, Iím just replacing the solenoid and maybe the chainrail if it's worn. Is there any need to loosen the tensioners? Thanks v
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: