Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

Blown Up Front Shock

I hit a pothole today, hard, at about 30 MPH or so. Driving home the front end got intermittently shaky. I just looked at the car, and there is fluid all over the right front. It looks like I blew out the shock. Anyone seen this before? This is an 01 986, and the struts are probably original, 149K miles.
TIA
Pat
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Must have been a killer pot hole.......Wow.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Feel the tire too and go slow for a while after the suspension gets thoroughly examined and aligned and the shocks replaced. 149 on originals...not to shabby.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The tire is OK, as is the wheel. I suppose I will be changing the front shocks soon, along with the usual while-I'm-in-there stuff.
01 Boxster
Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
The tire is OK, as is the wheel. I suppose I will be changing the front shocks soon, along with the usual while-I'm-in-there stuff.
Definitely need to replace rears at the same time
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just bought a new Euro M030 setup; struts and sways. As last Friday was my last day of work, seems I'll have time to finish some projects!
01 Boxster
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, it sure takes a long time to disassemble the suspension from all four corners of a 986. I guess it can be expected to find some bad parts on a 149k miles system. Need new drop links, control arms, rubber stops in the front. I still have one rear corner to go. I sure hope the ROW M030 is worth it.

Maybe it just seems longer, as I had to put the engine and trans back in the SuperCarrera to free up that spot in the garage.
01 Boxster
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quick update:
The ROW M030 package is really nice! Good ride, firm but not rigid. Car turns in hard now. I can see it might be a little jumpy at track speeds, but have to wait til the track opens again to find out. This seems it would be a great autox setup. Plus I just did a fresh alignment, so we'll see how the tires wear now. I have the new snow tires on.
01 Boxster
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, that was a quick four years. Axles were making noise in turns, so I figured I'd replace them. The outer boots were torn. When I replaced the suspension with the M030, I did the minimum work to the rear, and completely rebuilt the front.

So, now I'm doing the rear. You practically have to take everything apart to get the axles out. In the process, I found the rear brakes just didn't work any longer; the pads were delaminated and the pistons barely come out of the caliper to apply the brakes, Ball joints snapped when I tried to loosen the nuts. On and on. Wheel bearing in one side was noisy and felt lumpy-upon disassembly, I found the inner race had seized onto the driven flange, and the bearing was toast. Anything that could be bad was.

The good news is the car sure didn't act broken. Ran great, turned fine, and got 25 MPG. I guess we can expect this sort of stuff when a car is driven relentlessly, and has 184K on the odometer. I will spend the long weekend cleaning parts, rebuilding what I can, and waiting for new parts to arrive from the four corners of the Earth.
01 Boxster
Old 09-01-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No suspension. I hope I remember how it goes together

01 Boxster
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Years ago I had something similar happen to me in Chicago while driving an 83 GTI. Got the left front gas filled shock, ruptured the internal bag, felt like I'd been hit by a missile. The car went from handling pretty well to crap in one fell swoop.
Looks like an ambitious project for you.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I've had my 01 Boxster (74500 miles!) for a month and a half. Only paid $3200 for it, but it's turned into a major project car. My axles need new boots, no surprise. And brake wear sensors.

Found the bad boots, while the car was up on jackstands for an oil change and a coolant flush. There are nice writeups on Pelican about changing the boots and renewing the hubs. Pelican is just an amazing company!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Good luck Brian
Check the CV's and axle for play. When the boots go bad the axles are usually going bad also, since the torn boots let all the crap in.
I used to live in the desert past Harrison. I suspect it is all developed now?
Pat (U of A alum)
01 Boxster
Old 09-04-2017, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Evidently "S" axles are relatively a dime a dozen. 5 speed axes are $1600. I hate to put in $1600 axles on a car with 183k on the odometer. They are almost worth more the the car.
01 Boxster
Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Will S axles fit in a Non S?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmch View Post
Will S axles fit in a Non S?
Evidently not, from what I can tell. I read that they have different splines on the wheel end. I bought some used axles for a Porsche wrecker fairly cheap. I am thinking used Porsche is better than new Chinese stuff.
01 Boxster
Old 09-06-2017, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
Good luck Brian
Check the CV's and axle for play. When the boots go bad the axles are usually going bad also, since the torn boots let all the crap in.
I used to live in the desert past Harrison. I suspect it is all developed now?
Pat (U of A alum)
I'm hoping that since its a Tucson car, urban and relatively low mileage that the CV's won't be too worn. I'll clean them real well with lots of shop towels and brake cleaner and check them for wear, galling, and wobble. The CV boot kits I got have packs of grease included.

Yeah, out past Harrison is developed. I live off Camino Seco s. of Golf Links. Weather is finally cooling off. I went to WSU in e. washington. Wish I'd thought of U of A. Winters are a lot nicer here! And the little coeds are so cute. In Pullman, you couldn't tell most of the time, warm sweaters and cold weather gear!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Another update:
Rebuilt the wrecking yard axles...they came off a 2000 Boxster with 80k miles. I pulled the inners apart, and re-lubricated them. The outers don't come apart, so I soaked them in a bucket of kerosene and did the churn thing for awhile to get all the old grease out. All of the CV's have been repacked with Redline CV2 red grease (the sticky red stuff), and have new boots and Oetiker clamps on them. They have been re-installed in the car, along with the new lower control arms, new banana arms with poly bushings (hopefully the knocking noise will go away now), and re-lubricated toe arms ( I am sure those have a technical name). Hubs were cleaned and sandblasted in my glass bead machine. I built new guide tubes for the parking brake cables, and powder coated the backing plates. The rear calipers were not working so well,, so I rebuilt them best I could (it is a b**ch to clean out he piston bores on Boxster rear calipers), put in new seals and cleaned up the pistons in my lathe with 8000 grit wet sandpaper using ATE fluid. They seem to be OK now, but we shall see when I get it together. New Textar street pads all around, and new stainless steel Teflon hoses with new steel lines to the calipers (the old ones were frozen, and broke).

As I am waiting for some new springs for the parking brake from out hosts, I changed the cooling hoses under the engine, since they were exposed. Drained the G-05 I was using, and refilled with distilled water for a flush. After awhile on distilled water, I am going to change to 50% Havoline version of DEXCOOL.

I am changing the air-oil separator, but I broke one of the accordion breather hoses, and am trying to figure out how to fix it without taking half the engine apart. I made a splice tube, but am not sure if I like that setup; I do not want to fix this again.
01 Boxster
Old 09-21-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: