Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2002 Porsche Boxster S Rattling at idle

I have an 02 Boxster S, when I bought the car it had a chatter/Rattlling noise when in neutral, I took the car to a shop and they told me it needed a clutch (although it drove fine). I had them replace the clutch, and the problem was still the same. They proceeded to tell me then it needed a transmission, I found one from a parted out car with relatively low miles and they replaced it. Then replaced it with another one stating the used transmissions where defective. After 3 replacements, the noise is still there. The noise is not there until the car is warmed up a bit, it completely goes away when pushing the clutch in. One transmission shop owner told me the input shaft bearings where no good in the transmission? how can it be coincidence only that this noise has persisted through 3 transmissions and a clutch job. Any input is really appreciated I have found very little information on this problem.

The sound sound very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSEtDGNyFeI

Thank you

Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have an 02 Boxster S and had a similar rattling problem. Turned out to be a Cat going bad.
Good luck.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There are heat shields on the exhaust that may be causing the rattle. We had a similar issue on our 2002.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
PCA Certified D.I.

Garage
I'd seriously begin looking for a new shop to work on my car.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Once again this noise becomes predominate after the car is warmed up. The other day when the weather was hot (here in Reno) I turned on the air, and the extra load on the engine made the rattling noise. the car drive fine other than that and the noise goes away after pressing the clutch in.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schnell Gelb

Garage
The most likely cause is the heat shields or the 'bricks' in the catalytic converters rattling. When the engine is cold ,thump the heat shields to provoke the rattle.
If that fails ,remove them and gently thump the cats with a rubber mallet to provoke the rattle.
What did you do with the defective used transmissions and clutch parts? I ask because the 6 speed has a value even if it is defective.
As others have said - ask on the Forum for a competent Porsche Indie recommendation. These cars are expensive to repair without needlessly replacing good parts -as you have discovered. Reno Rennsport or Autobahn?
Good luck & let us know how you get on?

Last edited by Scnell Gelb; 05-14-2015 at 09:07 PM..
Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

rattle at idle

My 2001 S does the same thing at 900 rpm. goes away at 1000 rpm and over. Going over washboard pavement brings it back.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTV1 View Post
Once again this noise becomes predominate after the car is warmed up. The other day when the weather was hot (here in Reno) I turned on the air, and the extra load on the engine made the rattling noise. the car drive fine other than that and the noise goes away after pressing the clutch in.
With the noise going away while pressing the clutch pedal in, I wonder if it's caused by the crankshaft thrust bearings coming loose! This has happened before. You need a trained ear to listen to the noise while under the engine. Also need the oil filter inspected for metal, as well as having the oil sump cover removed for inspection during a oil change.
Try Engine Builder Supply in Reno, they are familiar with Boxster engine eternals.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
neutral , rattling , transmission