Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Well I put 2.5 k on the car since last service, so I decided that today being such a beautiful day, I'd use some of the oil change parts I ordered from you. Car up, and prepped, get under only to find that the last service had stripped the 8 m.m. hex hole round! Any ideas how to get the drain plug out?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

use a Torx bit, hammer it in tight, then remove and replace drain plug.

- Nick
Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Thanks

Thanks, I did a search and found lots of ways. Purchased a bolt/screw extraction kit,
so I'll go that route. I have a Fumoto low profile valve as a replacement, any issues that you may know of?
Old 06-12-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipjadler View Post
Thanks, I did a search and found lots of ways. Purchased a bolt/screw extraction kit,
so I'll go that route. I have a Fumoto low profile valve as a replacement, any issues that you may know of?
Yes: The first thing you go over in the road will clean it right off and dump your oil all over the ground. There is a reason Porsche used a sunken drain plug.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes: The first thing you go over in the road will clean it right off and dump your oil all over the ground. There is a reason Porsche used a sunken drain plug.
Wouldn't the shroud on the bottom of the car have to be torn off in the process?

It seems if that happened you would have bigger problems than just your oil drain plug.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Kim 986 View Post
Wouldn't the shroud on the bottom of the car have to be torn off in the process?

It seems if that happened you would have bigger problems than just your oil drain plug.
Nope, the lowest part of the undercarriage is the bottom of the oil sump on the engine; put something on it that sticks out, and that becomes the lowest target to get knocked off........................
Old 11-19-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem, used the extraction tool. I replaced mine with an aftermarket magnetic purchased from our sponsor, no problems since. I think it is a bigger hex and magnetic. LN engineering, it is a beefier plug which is also recessed.

1987 911 Carrera
2008 RS 60 Spyder
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I almost stripped mine the last time I did an oil change. I had replaced the stock plug with a too expensive magnetic one so really didn't want to ruin it. Somehow I just didn't get the allen head all the way in and started to turn it. I had inserted it just barely so it chewed up the edge of the plug a bit, but worked fine when I inserted it all the way in.

I recently stripped a lug nut on a Fiat Abarth - the OEMs use very cheap covers on the bolts. Luckily one of those extraction tools worked on it, but not until I hammered it on so it got a good grip.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: