Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
herbhenry2222 (guest)

I have what sounds like a belt squeal. When the squeal is loud the oil pressure light comes on, punching the accelerator turns it off. Changing the belt didn't help. WD-40 on the bearings didn't indicate anything. Curiously, when I switch off the motor and the belt stops turning, the squeal continues for almost a second. Please help.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

probably not belt related if the oil light is coming on. Check oil level, condition and pressure.

- Nick
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would also check for a loose spark plug.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Your idler pulley and tensioner pulley bearings are sealed. A spray lubricant can't penetrate the seals. Spraying WD40 would only help if the squeal is coming from the pulley shaft (retaining bolt).

Pull the belt. Wiggle all of the pulleys (water pump, AC and drive pulley too) if any of them have play replace it. That is probably the problem. Even if it doesn't stop the squeal, the pulley (actually it's bearing) is bad anyway. You can either pay $70 +/- for a pulley or $5 +/- for a bearing and have it replaced at a machine shop for $10/$15. You might as well do both idlers and the tensioner at the same time.

Technical Tip: I use a dental tool and pull the seals. Then I repack the bearings with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease and reuse the seals. You can also apply a thin coating of the grease to the spacers and bolt (only) where the pulley rides.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting, do you source the replacement bearings from Detroit Ball Bearing? Could they be pressed in/out with a small arbor press?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
Interesting, do you source the replacement bearings from Detroit Ball Bearing? Could they be pressed in/out with a small arbor press?
Sourcing the bearing can be a little tricky. Instead of trying to cross reference them on the internet, find a local supplier and (if possible) take them a pulley. You will have to remove the belt and at least one pulley to get the number off of an actual bearing. The bearing numbers are concealed by the washers/spacers. You can't see the numbers, while they are on the car. All three of my pulleys used the same bearing. That isn't always the case. I have a 2001 Boxster base that I've had for 11 years.

I tried to buy bearings using a number referenced in a YouTube video that I thought would work. That was a mistake.

In the short term, I used a dental pick and removed the seals for both idlers and the tensioner pulley. I used a tooth pick to dig out the factory grease (there wasn't much) and then used a wooden coffee stirrer to repack them with Mobil One Synthetic Grease.

They weren't loose so I reinstalled them, with the original seals.

I found a local machine shop that pressed in my new motor mount for $20 so when I find the correct bearings I know they will replace the bearings for a few bucks.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: