Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on A/C Overhaul

Historically, I have had a slow freon leak in my system, which I believe was traced to a leak high pressure port valve in part. So earlier this summer, I decided to recharge. Unfortunately, during the process, I had a fairly violent high pressure side hose breakage during a/c pressure gauge hookup and lost a major portion of the freon. I never lost all the freon and the system still had charge in it, so I did not reclaim the balance and vacuum. I simply recharged the system but it is not performing properly.

If I recall correctly, the high pressure side is not quite high enough and the low pressure side is on the higher side of the range, so I suspect the compressor is going.

I am inclined just to overhaul the system and my questions are as follows.

With such a violent high pressure side loss, how much oil is lost in the process and how to determine it?

If I were to going to swap out the compressor and put new port valve on, likely on both side, as long as I have the system open, what else should I go ahead and change before sealing it up again and how much oil to add?

Any comments, pointers etc appreciated..
Old 07-08-2017, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelsteve1 View Post
Historically, I have had a slow freon leak in my system, which I believe was traced to a leak high pressure port valve in part. So earlier this summer, I decided to recharge. Unfortunately, during the process, I had a fairly violent high pressure side hose breakage during a/c pressure gauge hookup and lost a major portion of the freon. I never lost all the freon and the system still had charge in it, so I did not reclaim the balance and vacuum. I simply recharged the system but it is not performing properly.

If I recall correctly, the high pressure side is not quite high enough and the low pressure side is on the higher side of the range, so I suspect the compressor is going.

I am inclined just to overhaul the system and my questions are as follows.

With such a violent high pressure side loss, how much oil is lost in the process and how to determine it?

If I were to going to swap out the compressor and put new port valve on, likely on both side, as long as I have the system open, what else should I go ahead and change before sealing it up again and how much oil to add?

Any comments, pointers etc appreciated..
When you get into this type of failure, it is often very difficult to determine how much oil was lost. Porsche service manuals contain a chart listing how much oil should be in each component, but is predicated on a proper recovery decompression of the system, not a catastrophic blow out which can vent a lot more oil.

You may be reduced to having to flush the system with a special solvent to remove all remaining oil, and then start over from scratch with a full oil charge.

Good luck with this one.....
Old 07-08-2017, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
just to close this out, I have another post on the same subject..see those comments
Old 09-05-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: