Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine dies and restarts at high altitude and 1/2 tank gas??

I have searched this forum for this problem but see nothing that is the same problem.

Driving 2002 Boxster S (3.2L) from 1000 ft elevation to 5000 ft with fuel level at 1/2 tank and
engine dies and then restarts in 1/2 second - lurch stop and lurch accelerate.

I had this happen multiple times last year on a trip from Phoenix to Pinetop, AZ - - stopped for lunch
and refueled then drove back to Phoenix - no problem an return trip.

Last week on a trip Phoenix to Genoa, NV the hesitation happened again as I was getting close to
Bishop, CA - - stopped and refueled and no problem into Bishop. Next day drove over the 8000ft
elevation near Mammoth Lakes and just as I was getting into Bridgeport (lower than 8000ft) the
hesitation happened again - stopped and refueled and no problem for the rest of the trip to
Genoa, NV . On my return trip to Phoenix I made it over the high passes OK and kept the fuel
above 1/2 tank - - but then just as I was getting to Victorville, CA the hesitation started again with
1/2 tank of fuel - I stopped and refueled . . . no problem on to Palm Desert or the next day on to
Phoenix.

No CEL comes on during or after these events - - AND, the car just passed the Arizona
emission test prior to my last trip. And, the gas cap is fairly new.

After some lengthy research (without going to a dealer or our Indie guy) I have come to a
hypothesis = there must be a pressure sensor or valve in the fuel tank vent system that is failing or is about to fail . . . .

Question for the Boxster/Cayman brain trust: Has anyone had this same failure or problem?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Regards,
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine

Last edited by Sboxin; 08-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
I have searched this forum for this problem but see nothing that is the same problem.

Driving 2002 Boxster S (3.2L) from 1000 ft elevation to 5000 ft with fuel level at 1/2 tank and
engine dies and then restarts in 1/2 second - lurch stop and lurch accelerate.

I had this happen multiple times last year on a trip from Phoenix to Pinetop, AZ - - stopped for lunch
and refueled then drove back to Phoenix - no problem an return trip.

Last week on a trip Phoenix to Genoa, NV the hesitation happened again as I was getting close to
Bishop, CA - - stopped and refueled and no problem into Bishop. Next day drove over the 8000ft
elevation near Mammoth Lakes and just as I was getting into Bridgeport (lower than 8000ft) the
hesitation happened again - stopped and refueled and no problem for the rest of the trip to
Genoa, NV . On my return trip to Phoenix I made it over the high passes OK and kept the fuel
above 1/2 tank - - but then just as I was getting to Victorville, CA the hesitation started again with
1/2 tank of fuel - I stopped and refueled . . . no problem on to Palm Desert or the next day on to
Phoenix.

No CEL comes on during or after these events - - AND, the car just passed the Arizona
emission test prior to my last trip. And, the gas cap is fairly new.

After some lengthy research (without going to a dealer or our Indie guy) I have come to a
hypothesis = there must be a pressure sensor or valve in the fuel tank vent system that is failing or is about to fail . . . .

Question for the Boxster/Cayman brain trust: Has anyone had this same failure or problem?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Regards,
If it was fuel tank pressure related, the car would code. You need to attach a Porsche specific scan tool and capture real time data while it actually happens.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Without knowing mileage on the car, I'll bet it's the fuel pump. 2002 was the first year Porsche went to an all in one system for the assembly. It's been my experience, these set ups don't last as long as the traditional set ups. We replaced ours around 50-60k. Good luck with it.
Regards
Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
JFP - I have a Durametric for the 986 - Would that be Porsche specific or do you mean the Factory
system that our Indie has?

77'911s - Our Boxster has 112,xxx miles . . . and the engine runs great . . . 27.5 mpg at 80mph
on my 1500 mile trip . . . with some spirited driving RPM 6800 passing a few cars
I will check with our Indie about the fuel pump - but you may be on target - our 911 3.2L engine
did a similar event when the pump was going bad.

Thanks for the responses,

Regards,

Pic from a few years ago when my son and I ran the Boxster on the track with 18" BBS, 888s,
HR lowering springs, MOMO seats and added power steering cooler . . .

Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The Durametric system would see a code if there was one, and should be capable of capturing real time data as well.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The Durametric system would see a code if there was one, and should be capable of capturing real time data as well.

I will do that on my next long trip up the mountains . . .
This may have more to do with the 1/2 tank of fuel than the altitude change . . . but may be both
if the fuel pump is failing . . . I will connect the Durametric and collect real time data on a few test runs
around town also . . .

Thanks again,

Regards,
Old 08-04-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

RoarN

Garage
Did you (Sboxin) find any solution for Your issue that occured at 1/2 tank? I have the similar issue With my Boxster -97.
When I Reach 1/2 tank of fuel the Boxster get stops, and then restarts in 1/2 second - lurch stop and lurch accelerate. When I fill up With fuel, it runs smooth again.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: