Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche's Love-em Live-em

Garage
Intersting? Tiptronics major leak from bell housing.

Interesting? Tiptronic's major leak from bell housing area.
Recently other people in the Porsche repair business have given me two `01 Boxster's with major trans fluid leaks from bell housing areas. Fearing more is wrong than just a front seal Customers dump the cars. Both nice cars otherwise. One with only 30k miles.
BOTH had the front pump pressed in bushing spin free damaging the front pump and seal hence the major leaks. I fixed one with a good used front pump from core Boxster trans someone gave me. In the mean time I have to my surprise found on ebay an over sized OD replacement so you machine the front pump for a new bushing. Ha-vent gone looking for machine shop to install yet. Will keep you posted on that hurtal. Also the Boxster I repaired with doner front pump I had the torque flushed by a shop that specializes in torque converters. The technician there said the he has seen the problem with the Tiptronic front pumps and said it was caused but the converted trying to electronically ground threw the Fr. pump bushing?? I guess for the converter lock up activation? No idea how the converter lock-up is activated tho. He said an added ground to the body is needed. Anyone else seen / heard of this problem? Anything to add?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We've got a 02 base with a tip, and thankfully it's dry as can be. Having said that, I've done a number of things to keep it cool:
1. fabspeed cat bypass (factory 2nd cats right at trans oil cooler??)
2. new rads, coolant, 996 oil cooler, lower temp t-stat, coolant tank/cap/sensor
Need to service the trans, but have not gotten there yet. The cars run too hot, especially with the stock set up and no service. Hope you get the situation with that trans fixed.
Regards
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The main point I like to share is ALL Boxster's with the Tiptronic transmission should have an extra GROUND WIRE from the trans case to the cars body. To prevent the torque converter support bushing in the transmissions front pump from spinning and damaging the pump and the converter!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll add a ground wire to ours while I'm in doing the trans mounts and bypass pipe. Wonder why the engine ground is not sufficient? Frankly, I think they go because it is so difficult to service the diff oil and the heat surrounding the trans. I'm already contemplating what to do down the line when a trans rebuild is required. ; )
regards
Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Re: difficult to service the diff oil and the heat surrounding the trans.
Yes, make sure the diff. part of the trans-axle is top up and check the pass. side trans-axle flange seal is not leaking. A common leak.

Re: Trans-axle heat. I leave off the engine and trans-axle lower covers hopefully to improve air flow to this area. A better Tip trans cooler would be a good idea. Haven seen one yet.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: