Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool New guy. Sad Boxster project car.

Hello, I'm Brian in Sunny Hot Tucson. New here, impressed with our friends at Pelican!

I bought a relatively low mileage 74.5k miles Boxster in late July. For having so few miles, it' is in amazingly bad shape! Engine and Tiptronic work great, but there's a long list of work done and to do's. I've replaced the seats, and top. Replaced the power mirrors, sound system, changed the air filter and motor oil, am in the process of flushing the coolant and trying to figure out how to fix a coolant leak. Right side, drips down of the diagonal support. Can't even see it. the wheel is coming off today I guess so I can get a better look. Slow enough leak that maybe block sealer might work. Rather not tho. Valve covers are leaking a bit of oil.

Power top doesn't work, I rebuilt the transmissions but haven't put them back in. The motor gives no hint of running (probably because the left transmission microswitch isn't hooked up.) The components of the right side were all busted up, probably because the transmission gear was broken.

The brakes were done not long ago, but neglected the wear sensors, so that dash lite is lit.

I'm retired, so I have time to address these problems. But I am amazed at how bad this car had deteriorated. Boxsters are supposed to get the love! BTW, I got it for $3200.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum Brian! I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the 986 platform to assist you with the repairs that you're doing. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts
Old 09-05-2017, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
How about a pic?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One culprit of leaking coolant is the expansion tank. A tell tale sign after it has started leaking can be seen by lifting up the carpet in the rear trunk. Likely you will see coolant under the trunk.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your new project. $3200 is a good price for car needing so much love.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, I mostly do my own work. Tho, I don't mind paying for a Porsche proprietary obd2 scan. And I took her into the independent Euro car shop for that and a coolant system diagnosis. Car has gotten really hot in the past weeks, a couple of time.

I need, ordered, a coolant tank. OBD2 says I need a secondary injection pump, too. I can get an aftermarket one for less than $200 at Amazon. Funny how if you are willing to not have OEM, the parts aren't that bad.

He said my front struts were blown (hadn't got that far in my under car inspection) and that the CV boots were shot, I already have kits for them.

So the marching orders are still to solve the coolant leak and keep the oil up to the marks on the dipstick.

Fixing the window controlers and the power top stuff (I have the parts) will have to wait 'til the mechanicals are better under control.

The guy who looked at my car was not impressed. He said, "it's too run down to be econimical to fix." It has been overheated, and the oil light has been on. Tho the engine seems strong, the tiptronic trans is perfect, good a/c, and brakes, etc. He said I should go get a better example, like I have the money for something like that. Told his wife/office manager that I respected his opinion, but this is a project car and a toy. No money in the budget for a payment or a $6 to $12,000 car, nice as that would be.

Didn't need to lift the carpet, btw. It was saturated with coolant and is currently drying in the carport.

Thanks for the link for 986 help. Pelican is a great website!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
Well, no pics yet.

Been fighting with the hoses in the engine compartment for the coolant expansion tank, which it turns out is cracked. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow. Might be able to get the hoses off the two metal lines in the engine bay with normal mechanics tools, but I couldn't. Special tools include a hose clamp plier with a cable driven compressor. And a set of hose clamp extended pliers from Harbor freight. And a nice set of pics. They're off, and the old tank is on my kitchen counter. Broke one of the fittings, just like in the Pelican write up, and I'll be doing the same fix they did. I'm not putting the spring clamps back in. They weren't designed to be very user friendly.

Ill put it in this week and see if it leaks. Hoping that that was all it needed, may take it back to the Indy eurocar shop for another pressure test and maybe have them bleed the coolant. It'll be nice to have a good coolant system on the car.

I have the Pioneer double din radio which fit's with an adapter kit where the old radio and cup hooks lived. Where the cd storage drawers were is a nice delete plate that BMW sells for about $10. Where the left side cig lighter was is a nice little LED volt meter. Blocked by the steering wheel when I'm driving, so there's no glare or distraction. And where the nasty ashtray was there's a nice replacement coin tray. All in all a much cleaner look.

I'm going to have to take the console back apart to replace the parking brake switch and pop rivet the console box cover back on. while I'm in there, I'll try to fix the latch, the previous owner was fond of prying on things with big screw drivers, tho.

Progress, convertible weather is just around the corner here in Hot Hot Tucson!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: