Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I can't tell if this is a single row or double row. I think its double row.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Check the size of the nut on the IMS center bolt to see if it is 22MM
Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

the nut size is 13mm. 22mm would be huge.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

This guy has a double row and has a 13mm nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbM3c2V4scw

About 2mins in he says 13mm for the nut.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng1993 View Post
the nut size is 13mm. 22mm would be huge.
If was 22MM, it would be the non serviceable third design bearing, which is why I asked.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I forgot to mention it's a 2001.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If was 22MM, it would be the non serviceable third design bearing, which is why I asked.
We went thru this discussion when I replaced the engine on my 01. The one coming out had the smaller nut on the IMS bearing & was leaking oil quite badly. The engine I replaced it with had the larger nut and was a factory remanufactured/used engine.

JFP, I don't quite understand the concept of a non serviceable IMS bearing. Is the factory replacement a better bearing setup? Non serviceable means it can't be changed? For all you do, Thank You!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
We went thru this discussion when I replaced the engine on my 01. The one coming out had the smaller nut on the IMS bearing & was leaking oil quite badly. The engine I replaced it with had the larger nut and was a factory remanufactured/used engine.

JFP, I don't quite understand the concept of a non serviceable IMS bearing. Is the factory replacement a better bearing setup? Non serviceable means it can't be changed? For all you do, Thank You!
Porsche moved away from the dual row to the single row, probably because of costs, and the single row turned out to be a bad idea with much higher failure rates. In 2005, they went to the third design, common called the non serviceable bearing because its physical size prevents it from fitting through the opening the rear of the engine cases, and there by requiring a total engine teardown to change it. Unfortunately, this last design still failed, but not in as large numbers as the single row. This left owner's with 2005-2008 cars with few options to prevent failure.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Occasional User

Looks like a dual row - see differences at 23:00 of video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pca+ims+video&view=detail&mid=48AC121505E06067D2AC48AC121505E06067D2AC&FORM=VIRE
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Thanks for that link. I had previously watched most of that, but didn't catch that part.
Definitely the bearing I have is a dual row. The single row cover looks like it would be much more difficult to hold the center stud and then remove the nut with a wrench compared to the dual.

Now the big question, to leave the dual row in or not? Supposedly the failure rate of the dual row is .7%. I feel that for me to remove the bearing and replace it I would probably have a much higher probability to jack something up than .7%.

Ironically I was pretty sure before that I was going to have the single row because I am never that lucky.

FWIW my car is a 2001 with an 04/01 mfg date. I assume original engine.
I think I am the 3rd owner. I bought it a little over 6 years ago.
It has almost 80k on the clock.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

All righty, I finally got it all back together today.
Overall the clutch job isn't that bad.

The absolute worst part of the job was drilling out the sheared off exhaust bolts. If I had to guess, to drill out the 6 bolts I spent probably about 4-5 hours. On the last bolt I used a grocery store HSS drill bit set and was able to get through one in 15 minutes.

The second worst part was reattaching the transmission. I wasted a few hours guessing how to do it until got some wheel hangar hardware that helped to line things up.

Maybe the third worst part was pushing the intake duct back onto the throttle body. I had to get out my heat gun to heat it up to get it back on.

Now to get the emissions test taken care of and get my tags renewed.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: