Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

All of a sudden nothing happens in gear clutch out

This morning on the interstate in stop and go traffic all of a sudden I hear some kind of noise which sounded like the tranny popping out of gear. Then I have nothing at all from the car. It is running and revving while the shifter is in gear. So I made it to the side of the road and had it towed home. It is like its stuck in neutral now.

Any ideas?

The car starts fine and sounds normal.

I just looked at the linkages on the back of the tranny and that looks fine there.
Where to go from here?
I have the car up on my lift. I bought the tow truck driver breakfast to help me get it up on the ramps and onto the lift.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Does the shift cable have resistance or is it mushy? Possibly the cable is broken, even though it's connected at the rear of the car.
You can select gears from the shift linkage at the trans from underneath. Put it in any gear and move the wheels, or try to. (engine off, of course)
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When I shift the shifter the rod moves in and out of the tranny, so I don't think the linkage is bad. Thats what I was hoping for.
If the shifter is in a gear the car will roll like it should not. It's basically like the clutch is pressed in.
The clutch pedal itself feels okay when pressing it, I didn't notice anything unusual like a bad cable I once had on a different car where you felt nothing when pressing the clutch.

There's nothing happening between the flywheel and the gears of the transmission.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well...it sounds like you need to pull the trans to see what's going on. Sounds like it is in the area of the flywheel, clutch plate or throw out bearing. If there was no catastrophic bang when it happened, then all input shafts should be OK. Possible that the slave cylinder hose is so swelled up it is holding the clutch plate to the flywheel. Who knows. Only way to tell is to yank it out. You can leave the engine in but it will need to be supported by another jack.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

With the car on a lift, how hard is it to remove the transmission?
Is there anything else I can do to try and figure it out before removing the transmission?

I suppose I will need to get a transmission jack to support the tranny.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng1993 View Post
With the car on a lift, how hard is it to remove the transmission?
Is there anything else I can do to try and figure it out before removing the transmission?

I suppose I will need to get a transmission jack to support the tranny.
you need to support the engine in place and the trans separately, to be able to lower it.
Here is the Tech article.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/37-TRANS-Drop/37-TRANS-Drop.htm

Last edited by tonythetarga; 10-24-2017 at 05:56 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ya'll seem to be dancing around the number one suspect. The clutch. You probably have a blown clutch, the friction disk has disintegrated into tiny asbestos laden fragments. Gotta drop the trannie to get to the clutch anyhow. Be sure to have the flywheel resurfaced.

BTW, Been there Done that! Sorry.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Asbestos. I guess I will have to wear my respirator then.
Probably wont be until December though that I will even bother to get under there.
Too much other work going on that I won't be able to dedicate time to this.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack, that's half the battle. Not a bad idea to wear at least a particle mask. And while it's possible to do the clutch yourself, a helper isn't a bad think. I don't actually know if there's asbestos, but it's not a bad idea for clutches and brakes.

I'm starting an engine swap next weekend, on the ground. Strategizing at this point as the replacement engine isn't here. Figure a motorcycle jack will do the trick--I've done a front diff on a Dodge 4wd Pickup with one.

As for dedicating time, it's gonna be down til you get it fixed. you don't have to do it all in one operation. Do it in free time, manageable bits.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: