Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Boxster & Cayman Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/)
-   -   Cluster shutoff (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/975220-cluster-shutoff.html)

tryin2buildit 10-24-2017 05:41 PM

Cluster shutoff

Anyone have this issue? I will be driving and cluster/instrument gauge shuts off for one second and comes back on.

Thanks!

1997 Boxster

Dmitry at Pelican Parts 10-25-2017 11:27 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Have you checked the electrical/fuses?

Brian in Tucson 10-28-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts (Post 9790389)
Hello and welcome to the forum! Have you checked the electrical/fuses?

I don't think that would account for a momentary shut off of the gauges. The fuse is B1, btw. More likely, tho, is that the connection or points in the ignition switch are bad or corroded. I think that movement of the key ring might be disturbing the connection in the switch. Do you have lots of keys on your ring?

tryin2buildit 10-30-2017 10:03 AM

No keys on the ring. Past owner changed battery and didn't use OEM. Key remotes (i have 2) do not lock or unlock the car.

The cluster actually does not count mileage it stays at the same mileage, it just resets completely including the time while i drive and it happens every 2 miles. Any ideas?

warren90anthony 11-08-2017 10:04 PM

My instument cluster started flashing & the speedometer, tach, gas & temp gauge would not work. The headlights & tail lights would blink off & on when turned on. The interior lights would flash if turned on. I took to dealer in Florida, Auto Nation, & they never heard of problem. I called Chrysler Corp. & they never heard of problem.. The dealership was terrible, but Chrysler Corp helped & they finally replaced the TIPM, Total integrated Power Module. The car worked fine but only drove short distances. When I started driving home to Michigan, the cluster started doing the same thing after driving 100 miles. The second day started out fine, but after 100 miles, the instument cluster went out again. I was worried because the headlights flash also. Will take to local dealership on Monday, but I called them from Florida & they never heard of problem either. When cluster goes out, the headlights & taillights also flash when turned on, but the radio, air conditioning/heat work fine.

Brian in Tucson 11-10-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warren90anthony (Post 9808388)
I called Chrysler Corp. & they never heard of problem...

Why would you call Chrysler about a problem with your Porsche?:eek:

Brian in Tucson 11-10-2017 06:25 AM

Have you tried cleaning the battery posts and making sure the connectors are nice an tight?

tryin2buildit 11-14-2017 03:12 PM

So I have narrowed it down that it shuts off at .5 miles. It does not record the mileage either. The lights stay on, there is no other problem than the whole cluster. I think I will just go to the dealership and pay the diagnostic fee....