Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Loctite Anti-Seize OR Blue

This post could probably go everywhere but this is the forum I use so here goes...

Certain applications (caliper bolts - for example) recommend the use of anti-seize compound. Other applications recommend Loctite Blue 242 (water pump, thermostat housing, etc - for example) OR micro-encapsulated bolts. I bought the fancy bolts.

I admit, I don't want my water pump bolts to vibrate loose BUT I don't want them to seize in the mounting flange either. I also, don't want my caliper bolts to either vibrate loose OR seize. I'm pretty sure using both would negate each other. Torquing the bolts to the proper setting will only do so much.

What is the rule? When is it proper to use anti-seize vs blue?

The inside of my head is getting dizzy, trying to use logic to win this circular argument.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Applications requiring anti seize should get just that, and those requiring thread locker should get the appropriate type of thread locker. This is not rocket science, and the two are NOT interchangeable. If you don't know which is appropriate, look it up in the service manual. Using the wrong one is as bad as not using any.......
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My logic is...Things I will need to remove more frequently, like wheel lugs, will get anti-seize. Things like engine rebuild components that I want to stay together and at the appropriate torque, will get Loctite. Yes, I want my wheel lugs to stay in, but I also want to get them off when I need to. My logic extends to rust potential parts will get anti-seize vs Loctite. (or Rustite) ;-))
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I almost never use antisieze anymore. Maybe on spark plugs going into aluminum heads but nowhere else. If you live in a place where they salt the roads, it only delays seizing. I'm fortunate to live in a dry, no corrosion where almost never do we see corrosion locking.

I do use blue loctite, tho. On caliper bolts, on the linkage fasteners for the convertible top, and on things that might self loosen even with proper torque (lots of motorcycle fasteners.) My own person theory is that blue loctite also has some anti seize properties.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
blue , bolt , bolts , loctite , seize