Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Magnetic sump plug ?

My mechanic tells me that he doesn't like to use a magnetic plug, reason being that any metal should be trapped in the filter, rather than being able to come off the plug and circulate ??
Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK911 View Post
My mechanic tells me that he doesn't like to use a magnetic plug, reason being that any metal should be trapped in the filter, rather than being able to come off the plug and circulate ??
What he is missing is that some ferrous metallic grit is so fine it passes through the filter. The filter also has an infamously poor by pass valve that tends to stick open, letting all debris by pass the filter.

Get a magnetic plug, and if you really care about the car, get a spin on filter adaptor. Your engine will thank you.............
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Any loose material that is trapped by the magnet on your plug is no longer circulating through your engine. Think of it as a pair of suspenders to go with your belt.

Your mechanic probably doesn't like several things you do...so what?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Consider those particles have to go through the pump to reach the filter.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

+1 JFP, and even a magnet to go on the metal filter. Best, Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 12-15-2017, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you retain the factory filter setup, it's recommended that you change the filter housing every several years as the bypass spring looses tension. The other option is to put a spin on filter adapter and full flow filter that prevents debris from entering the engine. Pelican offers these with the magnetic drain plug as well.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 02-24-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thank you cnavarro for website it is interesting.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Magnetic plugs are very inexpensive. Not sure how much good they do, but they certainly don't hurt anything. A eurocar shop friend says that OEM filters are good, doesn't recommend the spin on's. I have the spin on filter kit, it seems pretty good and I'm using a high quality Fram XG filter.

One way or another, it kinda seems like snake oil to me.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Kim 986 View Post
Any loose material that is trapped by the magnet on your plug is no longer circulating through your engine. Think of it as a pair of suspenders to go with your belt.

Your mechanic probably doesn't like several things you do...so what?
+1!

It's my motor, and my car.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Magnetic plugs are very inexpensive. Not sure how much good they do, but they certainly don't hurt anything. A eurocar shop friend says that OEM filters are good, doesn't recommend the spin on's. I have the spin on filter kit, it seems pretty good and I'm using a high quality Fram XG filter.

One way or another, it kinda seems like snake oil to me.
Nothing wrong with OEM filters. We use them with the stock filter housings on the .2 cars with the MA1 engine.

The M96 (and M97) engine generates more debris, ferrous and non-ferrous, than most any other Porsche engine I have seen. The spin on filter adapter delete the bypass as already mentioned, preventing debris from re-entering the engine when the filter bypasses.

We have inspected dozens of different brand filters and the only spin on filters we recommend sticking to Wix or Napa Gold/Platinum filters. Their construction is superior. I did not find a single Fram filter I would use or recommend.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro View Post
Nothing wrong with OEM filters. We use them with the stock filter housings on the .2 cars with the MA1 engine.

The M96 (and M97) engine generates more debris, ferrous and non-ferrous, than most any other Porsche engine I have seen. The spin on filter adapter delete the bypass as already mentioned, preventing debris from re-entering the engine when the filter bypasses.

We have inspected dozens of different brand filters and the only spin on filters we recommend sticking to Wix or Napa Gold/Platinum filters. Their construction is superior. I did not find a single Fram filter I would use or recommend.
Why I chose Fram XG filters. Untitled Document

And a magnetic drain plug.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Why I chose Fram XG filters. Untitled Document

And a magnetic drain plug.
I cut apart all the 1042 Frams along with all the other brands available at your FLAPS and Amazon. Wix and Napa Gold/Platinum are still the best.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: