Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

PPI in Hollywood FL

This my first post on the Boxster side of Pelican's Forums as I'm selling my '74 Targa and getting something much newer. I've found a 2014 S on eBay, but I'm in CA and the car's in Florida. The car looks great, but I have some worries than can only be resolved with a competent PPI. CarFax says no accidents, but AutoCheck shows one as does a BuyCrash. I'm also concerned about the possibility of flooding due to the hurricanes.

Any assistance and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JT
Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Occasional User

I think for the newer cars I would be inclined to take it to the dealer for PPI - or have seller agree to take it. I would want Porsche dealer to check for over revs, see if anyone had flashed the ecu with an aftermarket program, and make sure the car is up to date on software upgrades - pdk etc. (To be sure there isn't anything that has voided warranty) - in addition to your concern about accidents / floods. Also, the dealer can give you the full service / sales history - if it was serviced at dealers of course. They can also give you option list, original price etc. - everything you would get on a COA of an older car. Not so easy long distance, for sure.
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold

Last edited by Cook&Dunning; 12-12-2017 at 05:21 AM..
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, good advice.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I guess if it were me buying a $40 to $50 thousand dollar car, I'd probably invest in a plane ticket and a motel room and go have a very close look. If I bought it, I'd probably drive it home, quite the adventure!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I guess if it were me buying a $40 to $50 thousand dollar car, I'd probably invest in a plane ticket and a motel room and go have a very close look. If I bought it, I'd probably drive it home, quite the adventure!
If it were flooded and there was an insurance claim, that would probably show up on Carfax, and the title would be a salvage title.

It's probably just off lease, and in great shape!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the trip idea, but timing for me sucks. With PASM and Sport Exhaust it doesn't sound like your typical lease car. I've found someone via PCA that I'll probably have do the PPI.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
We used an inspection service to buy a car in Oregon (we live in NC). Have only done it once, and to be honest, it was not a great thing. It was fairly cheap (I think $150), but amongst other strange things he said the tires were worn and they were in great shape and somehow missed a permanent warning on the dash about adaptive headlights. The owner had swapped out original lights for blacked-out ones that were not adaptive. All was fine with that, but I had to pay $175 to have the ECU programmed to remove that fault from the screen which blocked out the entire display (this is on a Mini).
Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: