Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

03 boxster s automatic transmission rebuilt

I made a huge mistake with my 04 Boxster S(ENGINE and TRANNY from 03 S). I transported the car in a dolly and now the tranny does not work properly, just move the car a little bit forward and not reverse not more. Could somebody tell me if is any hope to fix it or rebuilt the tranny and where could get any video or pictures to do it. I have the boxster book from Pelican but not an expert.
Thanks everybody in advance
Old 12-22-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

So the front wheels were on the dolly and the rears on the ground?

If so here is my guess. You are probably looking for a used transmission. The trans was probably spinning without adequate lubrication or cooling. P-cars want flatbeds.

The trans itself is used in other makes/models so it isn't like a transmission rebuilding shop would be unfamiliar with it.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with Mike. You might be able to get it rebuilt, but the cost to do that is probably pretty close to what a used one will run. 00 to 04 will fit, there are tips on Ebay.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rebuilt versus used. How long you plan on keeping the car. Rebuilt means lots of clutches and bearings replaced and a warranty. My only rebuild was via AAMCO and it got a multi-year warranty. Used means probably good but how long has it been sitting around in a warehouse and what warranty.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Rebuilt versus used. How long you plan on keeping the car. Rebuilt means lots of clutches and bearings replaced and a warranty. My only rebuild was via AAMCO and it got a multi-year warranty. Used means probably good but how long has it been sitting around in a warehouse and what warranty.
How much did the AAMCO rebuild cost, Mike? I'm in the middle of replacing my engine and just pulling the trannie would be a huuuge cost, I would think. It's amazing to me how difficult these cars are to work on.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My auto transmission experiences were two.

Mazda, "need new trans" by dealer. Took to AAMCO, speed sensor for maybe $175.

Acura. Swap with rebuild cost somewhere around $3k. Dealer had said no recall needed 30k miles before, wanted to sell me a trans when failed. Again AAMCO.

But this was 5 years ago and not a Porsche. When I go online looking at rebuilt Tips, the prices are ~$6-7k without R&R. It isn't a particularly unusual transmission, used in several other brands.

If you are replacing the engine, what is the big extra cost of separating the trans? A few hours, yes. But you pull the engine and trans as a unit and separate on a stand. I see used as low as $1k. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 12-30-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Expect about $4k for a quality rebuild and $1500 for a good used one installed. I would/did go used from a dismantler and never look back.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: