Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New member to the Boxster club... 2002 "S"

I have been slowly restoring a 1987 Targa for the last few years. Just got a deal I couldn't say no too, picked up a 2002 Boxster S for thew price of the clutch that a transmission shop put in. The owner never paid him for it, so I paid the $2,500 shop bill and gave the owner $500 for the title so paid 3 grand for it.

I knew even parting it out I could get my money out of it, drove it home and although Boxsters did not impress me much when they came out, I have become a fan.

I live in KC and it has been way too cold to do much but I thought I would throw a couple of questions out. Have a pretty good oil leak that is dripping ONTO the exhaust pipes in front of the RR wheel. Haven't even had the chance to pull covers as I don't want to crack the plastic window.

Does the AOS leak externally when it fails ???

This car sat from May till Dec with an almost empty tank. We have a very humid year so i expect I have a ton of condensation, and haven't been able to change out all the filters yet. (It was -10 this morning) so still idling a bit rough. I want to get the Durametric reader, wondering if anyone in Kansas City has one so i can see how it works before investing in one.

Also, turned on the wipers and now they stay on, any body had this issue ? I intend to see if it still does it once it warms up of it its cold temp related. Any advice is always welcome.

Glad to be back in the Porsche mode. Makes me want to work on the 911 even more now.

Alan..............
Old 01-01-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

$2,500 sounds like a lot for a simple clutch replacement. Do you have the shop bill/receipt to see what parts were used?

The typical AOS failure is internal and results in the air intake fouling through to the throttle body. Now a hose could fail at the connection. And check oil level.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I got that as well, this is a shop we use for our work vans. The dual mass flywheel was bad (so they say, it’s not around anymore), so they replaced flywheel and all shift cables as well as the clutch itself. Now keep in mind also, this is NOT a specialty shop either. But I had no issues with the clutch or shifting on the way home. I am quite sure I need to drain the gas and flush the tank out some, it sat for 7 months with the tank on fumes so it had plenty of opportunity to make condensation.

It has a rough idle that clears with higher RPM, but I literallyput a fresh Batt in it and drove it home in time for bitter cold temps and didn’t get the garage cleaned out enough in time before to cold temps hit. So the poor thing is outside at the moment and I work in the weather so just not motivated enough to work on it in these temps. Also waiting for my Bentley manual and contemplating which brand of code readers I should invest in, so don’t even know which codes are tripping the CEL light.

But the body is in awesome shape,not a dent to be seen, no signs of accident history, top is in amazing condition, all in all I am quite happy so far. Been in contact with Flat 6 innovations and my plan is to keep an eye out for a good spare engine, put the IMS solution and a few other things on it and install it so the org (with 149k miles) can be sent off for one of their stage 2 or 3 rebuilds. Yes I know putting a 20k motor in a 3k car makes no sense for resale value. I regret every Porsche I have let go and frankly would rather let my son inherit it than sell it. So not looking at its value to others, just its value to me.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
$2,500 sounds like a lot for a simple clutch replacement. Do you have the shop bill/receipt to see what parts were used?

The typical AOS failure is internal and results in the air intake fouling through to the throttle body. Now a hose could fail at the connection. And check oil level.
cool,
A ISO/TS16949 certified OE manufacturer of Auto Parts since 2004. Producing fuel line, oil cooler, water outlet/thermostat assembly, coolant water pipes, all kinds of tube/pipes. Website & Page: www.fb.com/021auto
Old 01-02-2018, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Durametric is the only viable option so get that coming. With the fuel level that low just go fill the tank with the best fuel that's close & drive it till engine is fully warmed up.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: