Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Do I need to change engine oil and filter for the new Boxster S 2017?

Hi everybody! I just recently purchased a new Boxster S 2017. However, the driver side sticker says it’s manufactured in 9/2016. That means the car has engine oil over 1 year old. The manual says the oil should be changed in 1 year time, regardless of less miles driven. The car has only 72 miles. I told the salesman about it, but he said the car needed to break in! I wonder if the first engine oil from Porsche has any special additives that is crucial to the engine that I have to drive it for certain number of miles as to what the Saleman may intended as “breaking in.” Any answers and comments are greatly appreciated! Happy driving!!!

ttp
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Functionista

Have the service manager look up maintenance history. Is it CPO? Shouldn’t have sold it w/o servicing if so. What’s the “next service” due under the info tab? If they simply reset it I’d pitch a minor fit. Also, there is a huge difference in dealers. Some are Premeir and give a dang. Others do what it takes to sell the car for max profit.

PS: I may not recheck this post cause I’m over with the smelly air-cooled lot so PM me with further questions if I don’t respond....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Almost any sales person will tell you anything pretending to be knowledgeable. Truth, that is another matter.

I don't know what climate you are driving in but assuming you are going to actually drive the car, I'd go 1k miles or another 6 months whichever is first and then change the oil. Follow the break in restrictions in the owners manual, let the engine wear in and get warm before reving it in the high ranges.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttp View Post
Hi everybody! I just recently purchased a new Boxster S 2017. However, the driver side sticker says it’s manufactured in 9/2016. That means the car has engine oil over 1 year old. The manual says the oil should be changed in 1 year time, regardless of less miles driven. The car has only 72 miles. I told the salesman about it, but he said the car needed to break in! I wonder if the first engine oil from Porsche has any special additives that is crucial to the engine that I have to drive it for certain number of miles as to what the Saleman may intended as “breaking in.” Any answers and comments are greatly appreciated! Happy driving!!!

ttp
Previous generations of Boxsters came with standard oil & no special break-in additives, I doubt 981's are any different. If it were my car I would read the owners manual for break-in procedures then change the oil to what ever you are going to use during your ownership. Search & read online to determine what oil you chose.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd have it serviced at 1000 miles, have them use the proper synthetic oil and a new filter. The car may not require a breakin period, but it wouldn't hurt to follow a breakin protocol.

The one year oil change interval is okay, for cars being used. Combustion byproducts can produce nasty acids in the crankcase. A car with 79 miles? Not much contamination, it should be just fine for 1000 miles.

Personally, if I had just bought a $50,000 plus car, I'd put it on a fairly strict regimen of servicing it every 6,000 miles.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: