Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
frankle951

2000 boxster s 6spd

Hey guys, I’m going to remove my 6 spd transmission, I’m having the same issue, that most boxster s, is having, second gear pop out, it’s not the linkage issue, I bought the boxster s, knowing it had this issue, really got a great deal on it, so now it’s time to drop it out, I order a trans from eBay, that has a busted bell housing, but it only has 35k on it, and I order a used bell housing, my ideal is to switch everything over to the used bell housing, I’m a 39 year mechanic and own over 17 Porsche, so this isn’t my first rodeo, but my first Boxster, after I receive the eBay trans, I’m going to remove the rear housing and do a check on bearings, gears, etc and if I’m luck and if everything looks good, I will switch everything over to the eBay bell housing, I will post some pictures and if anybody can chime in with some great ideals, it would greatly appreciate it, never had a boxster s trans apart before, just a clutch and ims, the price they charge to rebuild or buy a used trans, is crazy, so I will give it a try, Thanks guys.

Last edited by frankle951; 02-21-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
frankle951

Here is a link to two guys, that jump into taking apart a boxster s trans. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yie0ew0cb774fe/2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revisio n3.pdf?dl=0
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
frankle951

Well, pickup the trans from UPS, yesterday, had two extra guys to help carry the trans out my suburban today, setup my work table, wasn't planning on taking it apart today, but it was snowing outside, plus my friend wanted to see me take it apart. Here some pictures.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
frankle951

I was very impressed, on how clean the gears and synchronizer was, the inside of the trans look like it had 100 miles on it, the inside magnet was very clean, and so was the oil, thumbs up to Quality Porsche Parts in Albuquerque, NM, BIG ebay store on used Porsche parts.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
frankle951

Here is the 2004 Porsche Boxster S Limited Edition LE Spyder, that the 6 spd transmission come from.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Occasional User

Your write up was excellent - it belongs in the book! I would not have wanted to be the passenger when that donor car was hit. Ouch.
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
frankle951

Thanks Cook&Dunning, just finish it up, I will post more pictures.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
frankle951

Well here we go, first mistake do not remove the long bolt on the right rear side of the transmission, it holds the idler gear and a bearing in place, lesson learn, just remove the 13mm bolts around the casing, no special tools are needed, and the casing will lift up, next is to remove the roll pins from the shift forks, this will allow you to remove the shift rods, there 5 shift rods, the middle shift rod, do not remove the roll pin from it, it will pull out, in the first picture, you will see the plate at the bottom of the shift rod, it has two torx bit, that you will need to remove, once all the shift rods are removed, you can remove the gear plate or if you are just replacing second gear and the synchro, you can leave the gears in place, but it looks like it maybe very easy to remove the gears from the bell housing, then you can use a press to remove the gears that need to be replace, I see second gear and fourth gear, is the most two gear that goes bad, please take a lot of pictures and video, you will need then, when going back together, that's it, there's not much to this transmission.

Last edited by frankle951; 02-21-2018 at 04:54 AM..
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
frankle951

Now going back together, isn't that bad, there is the middle shift rod, you will need to use a zip tie on, to hold it in place as you lower the rear casing down, I forgot if you are taking the pinion shaft and the output shaft out of the bell housing to replace the gears, you will need a portable hydraulic kit, the kit has a wedge, that you will need to push the pinion shaft out and another guy with a rubber hammer, hitting the output shaft at the same time, it will come out pretty easy, you will see the kit in the first picture.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
frankle951

When the weather gets better, I will show how I remove and install a 6 speed transmission on my Boxster s, and then show how I'm going to replace second gear and fourth gear, on my bad transmission, without a book, these trans are pretty easy to work on, I don't know why these shops are charging so much money to do a 5 or a 6 speed transmission and taking one out isn't that hard ???????
Old 02-21-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: