Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2002 Boxster S - power windows are dead, driving me crazy

I'm a new guy here, just took the car home today. I bought it very, very cheap. It's in good condition appearance wise and runs really good, but it does have some issues. I'll probably start a new thread for each individual issue. Hopefully that's the way it's done here.. Again, I'm new so if I'm trampling any long standing forum rules or customs by doing that, please let me know.

That being said, the power windows are the biggest issue I am facing. I've searched, and seen many different threads on this, but there seems to be no real continuity in the problem, it seems to be all over the place. First the issue, then what I have tried. When I picked up the car, the drivers window was totally dead. No movement at all from door handle use, none with top use, and none with door switch use. The passenger door did nothing with top or switch use, but it did drop a tiny fraction of an inch when opening the door.

I checked the D1 and C3 fuses. Both check good and there is power at each respective fuse receptacle. I swapped in new fuses. No change. I held each switch button full up and foll down with the key on for 30 sec each. No change.

I later disconnected the battery for something else (leaking fuel sender unit, more on that in another thread), and after hooking it up again, the tiny bit of movement in the passenger door window when opening the passenger door was gone - totally dead now. HOWEVER, the driver door window very smartly dropped when opening the door and raised when closing it. The joy was short lived however when I turned off the key, turned it back on, and the drivers window was once again dead.

That's where I am now - two totally dead windows, with no clue whatsoever as to how to proceed. I would think that with the tiny movement of the left window at door opening (now gone) and the three time movement of the driver window (now also gone), there has to be power reaching both windows. Since both are dead, it seems unlikely that both regulators died at the same time.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. By the way, it's very clean under the drivers seat, and no evidence whatsoever that the "immobilizer was ever wet. Also, for whatever it may or may not be worth, the interior lights are dead too.

Edit - After reading some more posts, I see one advice given is to check the window switches. How do you get them out? Also, do the power windows in my '02 S (986) have a relay? If so where is it located? How do I check that? Lastly, even with the windows full up as they are stuck now, the top will still raise and lower. I assume it's not supposed to do that? Is that a clue as well as to what might be wrong?

Last edited by Doug427; 02-07-2018 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Added someting
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check the window regulators. They are likely to be worn out. Mine were. Regulators are very cheap and if your windows are moving at all, this is going to be what you need to fix this problem.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lot of flooding in Houston during Harvey. Are you sure to car was not flooded? What you are describing doesn't resonate as a single or simple failure.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I see no evidence at all of flooding. Everything else works fine. This power windows issue is baffling. I am just getting home later tonight and I have to really tear into the car to try to find the issue. If it's a mechanical thing like window switches, motors or regulators, I can fix that easily. If it's micro-switches, I have no idea how to troubleshoot that. If it's this so called immobilizer I think i'm hosed as I don't understand what that thing does at all and what systems its tied into. All I will be able to do is check the connection, and if that's good then I have to just send it out to be checked I guess.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: