Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Shifter feels like I'm moving it through cold peanut butter

The shifter is very stiff, even when in neutral moving it side to side. It's not stiff like unusable, it's more like it's moving through a thick substance. It's not loose and easy like most other shifters I have used. It's my first Porsche, but this just doesn't seem normal. Other than not feeling nice, the only problem with it is that it makes the 2-3 shift a bit awkward at times. No clunk or crunch when doing that, I don't think it's a transmission issue. It just doesn't move easily, so it doesn't naturally line up with the gate. Is this common and what's the typical fix?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My 2001 Boxster S shifts like yours. It takes 10 minutes of warming up before it turns from stiff peanut butter to warm mayonnaise....I assume they are all like that? Anyone else?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
The shifter is very stiff, even when in neutral moving it side to side. It's not stiff like unusable, it's more like it's moving through a thick substance. It's not loose and easy like most other shifters I have used. It's my first Porsche, but this just doesn't seem normal. Other than not feeling nice, the only problem with it is that it makes the 2-3 shift a bit awkward at times. No clunk or crunch when doing that, I don't think it's a transmission issue. It just doesn't move easily, so it doesn't naturally line up with the gate. Is this common and what's the typical fix?
Most likely the wrong gear oil is in the transmission (common complaint when using the wrong oil). While a lot of people claim they have a match for the Porsche gear oil, they really donít as Porsche uses a full synthetic that is made to Porsche specs; it has no API or GL rating as it is unique. It also shifts very well when cold.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Occasional User

Lots of opinions on favorite gear oil on air-cooled forum. Almost as much fun as asking what is the best engine oil.

I agree with JFP that Porsche Mobilube PTX 75W90 is probably best - the problem is the $39 per litre price. I have also used Mobil Delvac 75W90 with Kendal limited slip additive (in my G50 gearbox, so not apples to apples)

The Delvac is great once it has warmed up - probably a good choice for a track car. Can be crunchy when cold.
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm using Mobile 1 synthetic 75/90 weight in my 98 base, the temperature here in West Michigan is around 32F. From cold, I can tell no difference in effort to shift from warm. I'm happy with it.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: