Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gearbox Oil level

Hi all

Can someone please confirm the gearbox fill oil level for a 2007 987 Boxster 5 speed manual gearbox, is it like the 986 and 11 mm down from lower edge of the fill plug? or fill till i trickles out?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenward View Post
Hi all

Can someone please confirm the gearbox fill oil level for a 2007 987 Boxster 5 speed manual gearbox, is it like the 986 and 11 mm down from lower edge of the fill plug? or fill till i trickles out?

Thanks
No, it is to 11MM below the fill plug hole. Fill it to the plug opening and you will end up with gear oil on your clutch.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok thanks

I thought it would be as the 986 but a local to me independant said until it runs out!

out of intreast how will oil end up on the clutch? blow a seal?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenward View Post
Ok thanks

I thought it would be as the 986 but a local to me independant said until it runs out!

out of intreast how will oil end up on the clutch? blow a seal?
No, with the level too high, the seal in the throw out bearing collar, which is not designed to be submerged, will simply let the excess oil drip into the bell housing.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, appreciated.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
For a '09 Boxster S 6-speed are you still supposed to fill to the bottom of the plug?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter987 View Post
For a '09 Boxster S 6-speed are you still supposed to fill to the bottom of the plug?
Yes the six speed is till it runs out, wonder if Porsche just put the filler in the wrong place on the 5 speed!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: