Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Boxster & Cayman Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/)
-   -   M96/M97 compatibility questions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/987496-m96-m97-compatibility-questions.html)

Cook&Dunning 02-13-2018 05:07 AM

M96/M97 compatibility questions

I had not realized that Porsche continued to use the M96 (M96.05) engine in the base Carrera all the way up to 2009 - I thought they switched to M97 at the same time as Cayman / Boxster. It looks like the Carrera S did switch, but base car carried on with M96.

My first question is - what IMS does the M96.05 base Carrera 2006-2008 have? would it be later M97 style, or earlier more easily serviceable version?

I guess that leads to my question about compatibility. Would the M96.05 work in a 2006-2008 Cayman / Boxster, or alternately - would a M97 from a Carrera S work - or is this like pounding a square peg in a round hole?

Is there a list somewhere that shows which engines can be swapped in to various cars / years? I have done a search, but there does not seem to be a complete list. I have read the engine swap article in Wayne's book by Todd Holyoak.

I am wondering if this all boils down to version of DME. I won't ask about putting a MA1 engine in to an earlier car - I assume that the Siemens DME will not work with an earlier car that uses Bosch.

JFP in PA 02-13-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook&Dunning (Post 9924240)
I had not realized that Porsche continued to use the M96 (M96.05) engine in the base Carrera all the way up to 2009 - I thought they switched to M97 at the same time as Cayman / Boxster. It looks like the Carrera S did switch, but base car carried on with M96.

My first question is - what IMS does the M96.05 base Carrera 2006-2008 have? would it be later M97 style, or earlier more easily serviceable version?

I guess that leads to my question about compatibility. Would the M96.05 work in a 2006-2008 Cayman / Boxster, or alternately - would a M97 from a Carrera S work - or is this like pounding a square peg in a round hole?

Is there a list somewhere that shows which engines can be swapped in to various cars / years? I have done a search, but there does not seem to be a complete list. I have read the engine swap article in Wayne's book by Todd Holyoak.

I am wondering if this all boils down to version of DME. I won't ask about putting a MA1 engine in to an earlier car - I assume that the Siemens DME will not work with an earlier car that uses Bosch.

Any Porsche engine built after 2005 and through 2008 carries the non serviceable IMS bearing. Besides changes in the DME, the later the model year vehicles handled data (sensor readings, etc.) on the CAN Bus, while the earlier cars did not.

Can "mix and match" engine swaps be done? Sure, with enough time, welding rod, and money, anything is possible. But you will end up with an expensive Frankenstein car with little resale value as everyone will be afraid the totally custom electronics which no one except the original builder understands.

Cook&Dunning 02-13-2018 02:32 PM

Thanks for the response JFP. I guess my thinking was that if I owned the car and the engine cratered, could it be upgraded? With a dead engine it would be worthless. I was looking at it from the air-cooled perspective where guys are dropping later year engines in their earlier cars, no problem. Obviously not going to work here. I appreciate the wisdom.

Brian in Tucson 02-15-2018 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook&Dunning (Post 9925032)
Thanks for the response JFP. I guess my thinking was that if I owned the car and the engine cratered, could it be upgraded? With a dead engine it would be worthless. I was looking at it from the air-cooled perspective where guys are dropping later year engines in their earlier cars, no problem. Obviously not going to work here. I appreciate the wisdom.

Supposedly, the post 05's didn't crater as often. I had a discussion with the service manager at my local Porsche dealer. He says that in general, IMS don't let go very often if you keep fresh synthetic oil in the crank case and don't over/high rev it regularly. I suspect a spin on oil filter kit and a magnetic drain plug could help too.

Don't trouble, trouble. And treat your Porsche like a fine lady!:D

JFP in PA 02-15-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 9927138)
Supposedly, the post 05's didn't crater as often. I had a discussion with the service manager at my local Porsche dealer. He says that in general, IMS don't let go very often if you keep fresh synthetic oil in the crank case and don't over/high rev it regularly. I suspect a spin on oil filter kit and a magnetic drain plug could help too.

Don't trouble, trouble. And treat your Porsche like a fine lady!:D

Interestingly, the 1997-2004 IMS bearings failed more often on the street, while the 2005-2008 tended to die on the track................

cnavarro 02-24-2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 9927199)
Interestingly, the 1997-2004 IMS bearings failed more often on the street, while the 2005-2008 tended to die on the track................

Quite true. If look at the recommended surface speeds for the races for the early vs late bearings, the late bearing is actually sized much better for the rpm range of the engine, where the earlier bearings were going too slow.