Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

987 spare wheel

Hi
Will a 986 spare wheel fit a 987?
Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
still plays with cars...

Will bolt up... problem is, no proper way to stow it in a 987.
Didnít they all come with a small compressor & a can of fix-a-flat goo?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Will bolt up... problem is, no proper way to stow it in a 987.
Didnít they all come with a small compressor & a can of fix-a-flat goo?
Yes they did but will be holidaying in a remote part of the country later in the year and would prefer to have a spare.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Spare is great, BUT, what do you do with the wheel you took off?
07 BMW 530xiT (Spare tire)
Old 06-03-2018, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Flat fix won't do much good on a shredded tire. I live in a part of the country where you can be 75 to 100 miles away from tires and repair shops. And in lots of small towns, tires and repairs aren't available on Sundays.

The where to stow it comes up with 986 Boxsters, too. I guess my strategy would be to transfer enough stuff to the frunk and passenger compartment to be able to put the carcass in the rear trunk.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

With at least two gallons of water.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bring a power saw and cut the tire off the rim....hmm, I guess you need an inverter also...and....The whole spare tire thing is just plain stuipid,
I guess you are not supposed to go on a trip....
Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

spare

It's even worse. Porsche says that their emergency spare wheel/tire should not be fitted onto a rear axle, and that if it's your rear tire that's flat, to first remove the front wheel/tire and mount it on the rear axle and then mount the emergency spare wheel/tire on the front axle.

jD
Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yet, we" buy these cars...who's kidding who(m)
Our other cars all have spares....of a sort...
I'm keeping my BMW "touring" (spare tire) till the wheels fall off...(got a long way to go, it only has 44,000 miles on it)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Probably not the safest but with my Miata if I go out of town then I put a snow tire/rim on the passenger seat with the seat belt through the hub. I used to have a 2001 Boxster and I did the same thing. Oh yes I remember it had a mini spare. But when I bought used snow tires and rims I managed to get all four wheels and tires in the car. The fourth went in the rear trunk partially closed and the trunk lid was secured with a zip tie.

So if you have no passenger it is easy! Wifey hates these sports cars so the passenger seat is always vacant!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I guess one could use a furniture pad (harbor freight less than $6) to protect the clamshell and the retracted roof and use a couple of ratcheting motorcycle straps to strap the flat to the rollbars.

As far as the spare, I replaced my spare tire with a replacement one from Tire Rack. The replacement tire is a bit larger than the original and wedges with some difficulty in the frunk. I carry it somewhat deflated at about 15 psi so it fits and carry a small 12v compressor.

All my cars have spares. Calling AAA and waiting for a flat bed is such a pain in the butt.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daka View Post
Yet, we" buy these cars...who's kidding who(m)
Our other cars all have spares....of a sort...
I'm keeping my BMW "touring" (spare tire) till the wheels fall off...(got a long way to go, it only has 44,000 miles on it)
I liked the guy in another thread that was complaining about the $750 replacement key. Welcome to the wonderful world of exotic sports cars!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

YET, we "enable" this crap....It makes NO SENSE to me that ROAD CARS meant to be used for long trips DO NOT HAVE A SPARE TIRE...
Don't even get me started on RUN FLATS...whoever thought that up should be beaten with sharp sticks
Old 06-09-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
If it's shredded it will be somewhere far from home and you'll need the AAA anyway to get you a new full size tire to get home anyway..

15 bucks for a tire hole plug kit and the compressor will reinflate.
screw the goo.. it's useless. the tire plug kit aint.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: