Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face 2001 Boxster will not start but turns over

Hey,

Im new to posting on this site but have been reading for a couple months. I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster w/ 58K miles. Seems like it is in great condition but it is a few years old! I drove it Friday to work and when I came out to leave, it wouldnt start. It just keeps turning over. I came back to work with the Durametric tool and received the following codes. Any ideas? I have been reading allot about what it could mean in combination with the symptoms but have not replaced any parts yet. The codes are:

p1126
Porsche fault code 356 - Multiplic. mixture adapt. lower load range B.1:

I read that based on the symptoms, it could also be the Cranskshaft reference sensor. I also read it could be a bad MAF. Will the Boxster start if the MAF is bad? Can anyone confirm the following voltages for the MAF for troubleshooting (found these on another web site).

key on engine off: 0.9 - 1.1 volts
with engine idling: 1.2 - 1.5 volts
Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The engine will start and run (but not for long because you may foul the cats) with the MAF disconnected.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I replaced both the MAF and Crankshaft reference position sensor. Still turns over but doesn't start. Does anyone know what the following code means for the Poster 2001 (From Durametric):

p1126
Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardusch View Post
Thanks for the reply. I replaced both the MAF and Crankshaft reference position sensor. Still turns over but doesn't start. Does anyone know what the following code means for the Poster 2001 (From Durametric):

p1126
The P1126 code can be caused by:

- intake leak

- low fuel pressure

- contaminated injectors

- fuel pump failure

- exhaust leak ahead of O2 sensors
Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Lots of fuel pumps failing lately...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Lots of fuel pumps failing lately...
That would be my first guess. Listen to see if it's running. Check for fuel in the fuel rail.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The P1126 code can be caused by:

- intake leak

- low fuel pressure

- contaminated injectors

- fuel pump failure

- exhaust leak ahead of O2 sensors
Clogged fuel filter?
Old 03-09-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Clogged fuel filter?
Could be, but that would be a bit unusual; clogged filters normally impact running performance long before they would stop it from starting.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
In my 40,000 km in 7 years of owning a 2001 Boxster S I'm on my 3rd fuel pump. Im not a mechanic but they were easy for me to replace. I'm on my 3rd water pump too. I'd be replacing the fuel pump as a hopeful solution.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
crankshaft sensor , maf , maf sensor , wont start