Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Boxster interior water leaks?

Out of curiosity, how is the 986 Boxster for interior water leaks? I am currently looking at a Boxster locally that has really caught my eye but because my 911SC currently resides in my garage, I would have to park the Boxster outside. Because of this, and the fact that I live in the rainbelt, I worry about the interior of the car filling up with water.

I did a search both here and online but haven't found very many hits for this problem. Can I presume that if the roof is in good shape that the car will be mostly water-tight?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There are cowl drains ahead of the windshield that must be kept clear and there are drains at the aft corners of the top that need to be kept clear. Failing to keep these clear will result in electrical damage as well as a stinky car.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
There are cowl drains ahead of the windshield that must be kept clear and there are drains at the aft corners of the top that need to be kept clear. Failing to keep these clear will result in electrical damage as well as a stinky car.
Particularly in light of the most important control units are located under the passenger seat. You may want to think about a car cover to help minimize water intrusion, but absolutely check the drains for blockage.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Good advice guys, thanks. My Dodge truck has the same issue with cowl drains plugging up (as do most other vehicles, I imagine) and rerouting water to my passenger side front floor mat so I'm quite pro-active on keeping them flowing.

Glad to hear that there's no Achilles Heel in the Boxster's design! Well, at least when it comes to water-intrusion.

Dave
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
One thing, be aware the front cowl drains empty in the front wheel wells. The way to clean them is to remove the front wheels and the covers in the front trunk over the battery and either side. Using low pressure compressed air blow back from the the wheel well drains, then vacuum out the debris from the top.
Under no condition push anything like a rod or screwdriver in the drains to clear something, I know!
Good luck.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Murphy View Post
One thing, be aware the front cowl drains empty in the front wheel wells. The way to clean them is to remove the front wheels and the covers in the front trunk over the battery and either side. Using low pressure compressed air blow back from the the wheel well drains, then vacuum out the debris from the top.
Under no condition push anything like a rod or screwdriver in the drains to clear something, I know!
Good luck.
Good stuff, thanks!

Dave
Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: