Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

987.1 spark plug tubes

Hello, I’ve exhausted my search on every web site forum looking to find out if the metal spark plug tubes are removable and if they have an upper and lower seal like on the plastic ones from the 986’s. I have a parts list for the 987.1 and it doesn’t even show the part in the diagram???.

My issue is upon changing my plugs on my 2006 Cayman S I found wet threads on the spark plugs from cylinder’s 2&3. The plugs ends are dry, all 6 are light brown and there is no oil in my tubes. The car runs excellent other wise. I know that it could possibly be the green cam cover seals that the tubes rest against but if the tubes are removable and have seals I would like to try that option first before ripping off my cam cover which is a royal pain with the engine in the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by Chris651; 03-06-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris651 View Post
Hello, Iíve exhausted my search on every web site forum looking to find out if the metal spark plug tubes are removable and if they have an upper and lower seal like on the plastic ones from the 986ís. I have a parts list for the 987.1 and it doesnít even show the part in the diagram???.

My issue is upon changing my plugs on my 2006 Cayman S I found wet threads on the spark plugs from cylinderís 2&3. The plugs ends are dry, all 6 are light brown and there is no oil in my tubes. The car runs excellent other wise. I know that it could possibly be the green cam cover seals that the tubes rest against but if the tubes are removable and have seals I would like to try that option first before ripping off my cam cover which is a royal pain with the engine in the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
The metal plug tubes are not removable. They do have an internal seal for when you need to take the cam covers off for repairs, but these rarely leak and special tools and knowledge is needed to access them. Change the plugs, look closely at the coil packs for cracks, and its miller time...............
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks JFP for reconfirming my suspicions, they didnít look like they were removable. There was no top flange like on the 986ís. Coils are good, I replaced the plugs and will pull them and check if they worsen before my first DE. I made the locking tools to do the job back from when I did the clutch and pulled the seal on my IMS bearing.

I have a list of other parts to replace so Iíll keep this one on the back burner for a winter project and take your suggestion with having a beer.

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: