Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pretty POed right now

Last night I accidentally left the key in the switch. '08 Cayman. Tried to open the hood with the jumper at the fuse box. got a faint click. No pop. Tried jumping from a new hot battery. Same. Took off the wheel and got to the emergency cable. Pulled it. it popped but did not open. Pulled harder. Cable came out 3 inches and still no pop. I plugged a charger into the cigarette lighter but it does not seem to do anything. If you have any ideas please post up. I am ready to take a sawzall to the hood.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Last night I accidentally left the key in the switch. '08 Cayman. Tried to open the hood with the jumper at the fuse box. got a faint click. No pop. Tried jumping from a new hot battery. Same. Took off the wheel and got to the emergency cable. Pulled it. it popped but did not open. Pulled harder. Cable came out 3 inches and still no pop. I plugged a charger into the cigarette lighter but it does not seem to do anything. If you have any ideas please post up. I am ready to take a sawzall to the hood.
Just plugging the maintainer into the cig lighter will not provide an instant response, you may have to leave it in over night before it builds up enough charge in the battery to trip the release.......
Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Just plugging the maintainer into the cig lighter will not provide an instant response, you may have to leave it in over night before it builds up enough charge in the battery to trip the release.......
Thanks. Its set on 10 amps. Battery is at O. I just looked at this, Determining Charge Time - Batteries by Fisher Could take all night.

Last edited by JackDidley; 03-10-2018 at 08:07 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Functionista

Have you got a really good clamp for the jump connection in fuse box? Usually a bit of wiggling while operating the release button will get it open.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Have you got a really good clamp for the jump connection in fuse box? Usually a bit of wiggling while operating the release button will get it open.
I tried the clamps on the charger and 2 sets of jumper cables off a hot battery. Grounded off the door latch and the steering shaft above the pedals. Nice, clean and unpainted.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Still nothing in the battery after charger plugged in all night. Current cant be getting from the lighter to the battery. Is there a wire I can tap in to near the alternator if I go in behind the seats ?? Or the fuse box ?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I got it. Put power to the bottom side of the lighter fuse and the red hood jumper at the same time. Hit the remote and could not believe it popped. Seriously thinking about going back to Corvettes.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Now the other question. Why did the battery die ?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I think I'd figure out why the hood release cable doesn't work. And why the jumper wire won't pop it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I think I'd figure out why the hood release cable doesn't work. And why the jumper wire won't pop it.
Just worked on that cable. I think someone has been there before. Started a new thread on that.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: