Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
tjonesMN

Garage
986 manual 5 speed transmission install

I am running into challenges installing my 5 speed manual transmission into my 1999 986 boxster. I used the centering tool when installing my clutch disc and pressure plate. It seems like the input shaft on the transmission won't quite line up with the grooves in the clutch disk so I cannot get the transmission flush to the engine prior to bolting it on.

On round 2 I tried a couple 6 inch threaded rods in two of the engine mount holes to act as guides. I can get within about 1 1/2 inches but cannot get it flush and am reluctant to use the bolts to pull try and pull the transmission into the engine.

is there a way to turn the input shaft on the transmission while you are installing to try and aid the input shaft and clutch disk aligning?

thank you
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, put the trans in any gear, then rotate one of the axel flanges as you wiggle the gear box. It will suddenly just drop in with a thud. NEVER try to pull the gear box in with the mounting bolts, heartache is waiting for anyone trying that...…………..
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Or turn the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Let us know how it goes. I am struggling with this exact issue. I can't get the trans to go back on.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Any luck jones?

After struggling 2 days I finally got it to work today.

Before you start, understand how you can move the input shaft by turning the axle mount points on the transmission. You will need to hold one side and then turn the other side, this will make it turn.

Heres how I mounted it.

I bought these wheel hangars after struggling the first day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PMBSCD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They worked perfectly to help me align things up. Basically, I was able to fit the left side of the transmission then I had to raise up slightly to get a pin into the right side.
Next I had made sure that I was going on straight. Checking this is diffucult with the wheels on, but you can get a good look from the top side. Next you need to slide it as far forward as you can get it, I guarantee at this point your input shaft will be making improper contact with the clutch disk. With 1 hand hold one side axle mount and with the other hand turn the other side and press forward.

Once I had everything lined up and I figured out how to make the spindle turn getting it back in was easy at that point. I spent so long fighting it I was almost ready to give up.

Now for me I have to mount back the remaining parts. Hopefully this all works again.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng1993 View Post
Any luck jones?

After struggling 2 days I finally got it to work today.

Before you start, understand how you can move the input shaft by turning the axle mount points on the transmission. You will need to hold one side and then turn the other side, this will make it turn.

Heres how I mounted it.

I bought these wheel hangars after struggling the first day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PMBSCD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They worked perfectly to help me align things up. Basically, I was able to fit the left side of the transmission then I had to raise up slightly to get a pin into the right side.
Next I had made sure that I was going on straight. Checking this is diffucult with the wheels on, but you can get a good look from the top side. Next you need to slide it as far forward as you can get it, I guarantee at this point your input shaft will be making improper contact with the clutch disk. With 1 hand hold one side axle mount and with the other hand turn the other side and press forward.

Once I had everything lined up and I figured out how to make the spindle turn getting it back in was easy at that point. I spent so long fighting it I was almost ready to give up.

Now for me I have to mount back the remaining parts. Hopefully this all works again.
Nice! I bought a length of all thread from China. Shipping took so long that I had the engine and trans back in the car before it arrived. Turns out it isn't so necessary for an automatic trans. If you've been fixing stuff, you end up with a useless tool box--where valve compressor, piston ring compressor, old school timing lite, and other junk resides. The guide pin stock went in that collection.

In the past, on more conventional manuals, I've always used a clutch tool, guide pins, and used the trans bolts to tension the input shaft against the splines on the clutch disk. Not to force anything, but to just put a little tension on it. And generally for me, it' been easier to rotate the engine than the trans., it doesn't take much to line up the splines and have it slip into place.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: