Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

120,000 miles and it's like the car is conspiring against me

ZERO door dings yet. Taken care of this car to the n'th degree. I figured I had gobs of miles to go before things started creating issues. But, the car just hit 120,000 miles and all of a sudden, a bunch of things came on!

Any suggestions on the first two issues are appreciated (2000 Boxster S):

(1) Ignition key switch is getting stiff to turn and doesn't always know the key is out once I pull out the key. A few years ago, the switch locked up and refused to let the key release. I had the switch replaced then. I don't know if this is the same issue. Not the same symptoms. I would have thought that the new switch would have lasted longer.

(2) Been blowing out foam, which I understand. But just today the bar display shows that the fan is on, but it's not. No matter how high I click the fan, no air is blowing out.

(3) Been putting out codes - but I believe I know what that is and will fix it. I think it is a dodgy connection of the air-oil separator hose that I didn't replace when I replaced the AOS a few years ago.

(4) Cable that opens trunk when using remote key has pulled apart. Only way to open trunk is with manual lever in car - which is fine.

(5) Starter continues to screetch on start up from time to time. It isn't happening any more frequently. Just a nuisance. So not bothering with that for now.

Otherwise, it is running great, and still a blast. I'm still loving the 2003 PSE and the 997 sport shifter on it.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Found this on burnt out relay mount:

A/C Heater blower not working

I will check that.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

And this is suggesting it is the same ignition switch problem:

Few months ago the Ignition switch started sticking in the starting position?

Ugh.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
still plays with cars...

At 120k, it sounds like you simply have some age related repairs to do. Sucks that they all reared their heads it once, though.
Good that youíve gotten to enjoy the car so much.
Mine just turned 71,000, so Iíll be looking at some of those repairs in a couple of years.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes. But I recall reading that one of the magazines, possibly Consumer Reports, had this generation of Boxsters as one of the top 5 cars for reliable beyond 250,000 miles. So niggling issues as 120,000 are bumming me out.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The starter in my '07 Cayman began doing the same thing. Cutch on the pinion gear was hanging up and not retracting correctly.

O'Reilly's has a good price on a rebuilt starter. Took me about an hour to change. Didn't realize how messed up the old starter was until I put the new one in. Engine spins over much faster now. I'd replace it if I were in your shoes. You'll be quite surprised by the difference.

Other than that, as Steve pointed out, you're running into the nagging things that pop up as the years and miles roll by. It's an 18 year old car, regardless of mileage things will fail due to age. Consider yourself lucky if these are the only "issues" you've had in that time.

When it hits 20 years old and still going strong, buy a bottle of Champagne and have a toast in its honor.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding the starter: I had the same issue with the loud screech, it was embarassing! This is a Porsche, it shouldn't be doing this. Video on Ben's Burners led me to the solution which was relatively easy (once you get that lower bolt out) and definitly cheap. No more noise! 98 base 233770 miles.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Slight update. The fan not working is merely related to the ignition switch. I noticed today that after starting, it is not releasing to the correct position. Once I gave it a slight nudge over to the right position, the fan works fine.

So I ordered a replacement electric switch and the o-ring and pipe I need for the CEL I'm getting.

I'm still going to live with the screech and the foam.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am happy to report that the $30 OEM replacement fixed the stiff, binding ignition key and the fan.

I'm a little bummed that the last one didn't last longer. It was the more expensive Porsche part.

I did have an initial concern because the Pelican online catalog showed the switch I bought as the correct one for my car, the Pelican 101 things to do with the Boxster book said it was the wrong part! But, in the end, it was the right part.

I will say that loosening the set screws was a bit difficult to get moving - quite tight. But once I got them moving, it was easy.

Next fall (when my youngest goes off to college), I think I'll undertake the foam repair.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Stick to 912s Jay, they are much more reliable. LOL

Just scanning through some Boxster threads as I am considering one for my next daily driver and spotted a fellow 912er.....
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Dion!

Some Boxster thoughts: I love the car. My woes above turned out to be minor. The car has been a champ.

I have an S. I didn't start out looking for an S. I don't think the extra horsepower over the non-S is awe inspiring. THAT SAID, I personally found the non-S somewhat plain and non-sporty (my personal opinion). The S just brought the whole package over the line and made it a sports car - and an amazingly great one at that.

Also, I made a few changes that I think really helped out. (1) I put in the 2003 model year factory sports exhaust in, plus Dansk sport cats. The car now sounds amazing - an aggressive, sporty, racy sound, with zero drone. I drove in a friend's car with, I think, a Borla. it had a small drone at about 2,900 rpm. It wasn't bad when I first heard it. But it was there, and the owner said he ultimately went back to stock because it was like a water torture, always there and always in a zone where he would be driving.

(2) I tried the B&M sport shifter and HATED it. It was very notchy and stiff, in a bad way. Then I learned that the 997 plain shifter bolts right in and shortens the throw, effectively a sport shifter, but without the notchiness. And it was less than $200 then, from the dealer Great deal.

(3) The IMS bearing fear is way overblown. I did actually change mine when I had to change the clutch. I still have the tools which you can borrow should you ever get there.

(4) My Boxster has the full leather interior. I know that is contrary to sporting Porsches. But I will say that it adds a touch of quality to the interior, and pulls it a step away from that mass market car feel.

Every time I drive the car I am truly amazed. It's like the ultimate sports car. I've autocrossed it too. Yes, I am faster in it than my 912 or 911. But, I will admit my favorite to autocross is still the 912. And my favorite on a larger track is still the 911 - for the cool factor. But the Boxster is only a hair less on the cool factor, but still crazy fun on the track.

Oh, and I put in a very cool 917 wood shifter knob on the car. I had to make all the parts to fit it.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks Jay, always nice to get an opinion from a trusted resource who knows this family of cars. My local Porsche tool jockey told me that I could do the IMS in a weekend and also has the tools that I can borrow, but I appreciate the offer and will keep you in mind. I've rebuilt air cooled 6's, how hard can an IMS bearing be?

I love the wood gear shift knob! I think it also doubles as an anti theft device for luddites who can't handle a manual tranny....
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yes, doing the IMS bearing was not bad. It was actually amazing how much space is under the car to work once the tranny is out.

That said, doing the seal is really bad. I admittedly went through a few of them to get them right (buy factory seals only). I still am befuddled about the design, or lack there of. Basically, you have a deep hole and you have to slide/push in the seal perfectly straight, but not all the way in. If it gets off plane, you're hosed. There is no way to recover. You have to pull it out and get another one. A better design would have included a lip inside the hole that the seal would hit up against and therefore fit perfectly flat. But noooo. They just have a deep hole and you don't push it all the way in. That's why getting it wrong is a disaster.

I made all sorts of jigs to try to get it flat. One finally worked well. There is a factory tool and I'm told even it doesn't work right every time. If you do get to this point, remember to let me know. I have a couple tips - but no perfect solutions. (I should add that I did this about 5 years ago. The factory had just revised its tool again. It could be that they have since finally got it right.)

I will add back another point. The balance and grip is epic. There is a reason it had the very best slalom numbers in the Road and Track comparisons for years. Actually, so good that through almost any corner, it is so composed, I feel bummed, perhaps a bit down on myself, that I must have left time on the track. Oh, and the one time the car was not composed, but still eminently controllable, I said to myself "holy ****, had I just done that in my 911, I wouldn't still be on the track!"

Last edited by Jay Laifman; 06-25-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: