Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1989 radio/stereo

just bought a 1989 986 and would like to find a replacement radio that would allow me to hook up my IPOD and hook up a Sirius receiver. Would really like an easy conversion. Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is it a front engines 968 as the Boxster 986 wasn't made before 1997. Well it was but they were model year 1997 in the US.

Browse crutchfields web site or even call them. They have kits available to make it easy and they know Porsches.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
+1 for Crutchfield. They have a very convenient plug in where you enter your make/model/year and the populated results are only those that fit your model. Take a look at the link below.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ye93j3gicoQ/car/carselector.aspx
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Is it a front engines 968 as the Boxster 986 wasn't made before 1997. Well it was but they were model year 1997 in the US.

Browse crutchfields web site or even call them. They have kits available to make it easy and they know Porsches.
968's weren't made in 89 either. Wonder what car the OP is referring to?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Clearly, this is a typo. I believe he means a '98. I don't always hit keys in the right order, either.

Crutchfield, per se, will be of little help. Their system says nothing fits a Boxster. They lie.

I'm speaking from experience with my '06, but help is out there. Several companies sell faceplate surrounds that will work. They also sell the "conversion harness" that will allow the radio to plug into the Boxster harness. With those items, the radio chassis is standard Double DIN.

One warning: Not sure on the '98s, but the Bose systems used fiber optics instead of wires, and these harness convertors are very expensive. This upgrade is much easier to do with the standard system.

Just to be clear, I was able to successfully install a Blaupunkt San Diego in my '06. Bluetooth, Parrot to use the radio with phone calls, GPS. From this, I learned two things: 1. It can be done. 2. Blaupunkt has gone seriously downhill since the last one I installed in an '89 911. I will probably upgrade this radio again in the next year or two, and it will NOT be a Blaupunkt.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: