Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ladybug83

SoCal928s Drive for Charity 2020 - Wheels 4 Meals - June 6, 2020

Good morning everyone,

Calling for the attention of all folks in Southern California:

I hope everyone is doing ok and fending off the cabin fever. About 6 weeks ago, my work slowed a little and I had some free time on hand. With that free time, I set out to resolve a few nagging issues on my 928, but with my ham hands, I tend to make more issues than I can resolve. Frustrated, I started thinking about what else I could do to pass the time. A different kind of project.

Fast forward to today, I’m excited to announce SoCal928s Drive 4 Charity 2020, titled Wheels 4 Meals. With much help from others, I’ve planned and organized a covid-responsible drive through the local mountains, where the drivers that participate in the event can elicit monetary pledges from their friends and family, who will, after the event, donate their pledges to Meals on Wheels OC. It’s a simple concept, for what it is, but I’m hoping we can make a big difference to the Meals on Wheels organization by just getting out and driving for a few hours on a Saturday morning. And really who, at this time, doesn’t want to get out and go for a drive? As things start opening up, still most, if not all, of our cars-n-coffees and other events are still canceled. I thought this might be a good alternative that could make a difference for those who need it.

I’ve tried to make the event convenient for people to participate. With the go-ahead from a couple of the original founders of the former club, I’ve created a website at www.SoCal928s.com. The website serves as a base for the Wheels 4 Meals event, and is the place to register for the drive, donate to Meals on Wheels – OC, and I’ve also added a blog page that we can populate with comments, photos, etc. The website details the date, route and schedule for the driving event as well as some info about Meals on Wheels and some of what they do for our community. It shows the event gifts and prizes for the registered drivers, and also for the folks that sponsors those drivers and donate to Meals on Wheels – OC.

This is not a 928 exclusive event. PLEASE reach out to anyone you know that may be interested in helping us, help Meals on Wheels - OC. Other Porsche fans, other makes and models, motorcycle clubs, hot rods, EV folks! Please bring along anyone that wants to help. Direct them to www.SoCal928s.com to register to drive. The more the merrier.

In a nutshell, here’s how to participate.

1) If you live in the area, go to www.SoCal928s.com and register to drive! The drive event is on Saturday June 6, 2020 and starts at 8:00am. Save the date! Get friends to sign up too!

2) Reach out to your friends, family and extended community and gather pledges of nickels, dimes and dollars / per mile driven. Any amount helps. Make a list of these pledges for yourself to keep track.

3) Come drive with us on Saturday June 6, 2020 at 8:00am starting at the Meals on Wheels facility in Anaheim! Event gifts will be dispersed! Event T-shirts will be available for sale. “Lattes on Location” will be donating their time and resources and providing coffee for the driving participants! CHP will be attending in the morning for a safety brief and to get us started on our route! We’ll take off from Anaheim, head north to the foothills, and do a counter-clockwise circle around and through the San Bernardino and Angeles Forests. I’ve inserted a couple Rally Points along the way at cafes where we can stretch, get a snack and use restrooms, need be. Breakfast options (eggwich or breakfast burrito) will be provided at Rally Point 1 for those who want it. The entire route is about 150-200 miles, depending on where you live, and 2.5hrs of actual driving. Factor in 30-40min at each Rally Point, and we’ll finish up around 12:30pm. More details are at www.SoCal928s.com.

While this will be a fun event, and we will socialize, we must perform in a responsible manner given the current circumstances and out of respect for Meals on Wheels and the folks they serve. Therefore, everyone will be asked to use a face covering and keep distanced, at all times while not in their vehicle. Thanks for understanding. I’m hopeful that at this time next year, we can do this again in a more “normal” fashion.

4) After the event, reach out again to the folks that pledged for you. Ask them to visit www.SoCal928s.com, where they can click the link to the Meals on Wheels – OC Donation Page, which was created by MOW exclusively for our event. From that donation page, they will be able to donate directly to Meals on Wheels – OC using their credit or debit card. Meals on Wheels will send them a “thank-you” email containing tax ID info for their donation.

a. When they donate on the Meals for Wheels website, they will have the option to enter your name, as the driver, so you are eligible for the fundraising prizes.

b. They will also have the option of entering their name and mailing address so we can send them some event gifts (stickers and keychains).

c. They can donate anonymously if they’d like.

d. Billing info will not be shared or provided to SoCal928s.com. Only the optional name, mailing address, and driver-fundraising amounts will be shared with SoCal928s.com so we can send event gifts to the folks that donate, and award fundraising prizes to drivers.

e. The donation window will close on July 4, 2020.

There’s more detail at www.SoCal928s.com, and feel free to post or PM me questions. Given that this is the first time I’ve organized an event like this, there may be some technical glitches, but please let me know if anything is not fluid and I’ll make sure to handle it expediently and thoroughly.

It’s been very rewarding to work on this project with the folks at Meals on Wheels – OC and they are very excited to see us in action. I also need to extend nine hundred and twenty eight “thank-yous” to the folks that helped me create logos, the website and those that served as council for this endeavor. And also the most generous vendors and supporting bodies that are donating their resources for a great cause.

I’ll thank you all in advance, because I’m leaning on everyone in the Southern California community to make this event as exceptional as I know it can be. Please register and come drive with us on June 6, 2020! Please blast the message out to anyone who might want to join us or sponsor a driver! I have no doubt we can make a real difference and I’m looking forward to seeing you all there!

Josh

Last edited by Ladybug83; 05-19-2020 at 05:03 AM..
Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: