Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Huling
Lightbulb Arizona Winter Run Planning

I was thinking to put together a run this fall/winter loping through very scenic southern arizona. Having done this tri many times on m/c it should be very nice in the p car. It would go like this- Day 1, meet at Harahs resort in Maricopa Az (good place to overnight if you are coming in from elsewhere) for breakfast. Saddle up and lite out for southern arizona via back roads through Sells, Arrivica and across the mountains and up to Kit Peak Observatory. Do some site seeing, then down the mountain and over to Rio Rico to the resort for the first night. Time permitting, we may stop at the Titan Missile museum and take a tour of the nucear missile silo's. Day-2- Early start and make our way through patagonia (rolling hills, wine and cattle country) stopping for lunch in a secret place I wont print, and perhaps go to a vinery that has some good stuff. On through the mountains again to Tombstone where its time for a draft and watch the tourists oogle the hollywood cowboys. Saddle up and head for Bisbee and the world famous Copper Queen Hotel. That night is reserved for La Roca (Top Ten Restaurant in Az (chef escaped NY)) an the firehouse pub (live band). Next morning head out after breakfast to make the return loop up through globe over the mountains at "top of the world" and back to Phoenix.
Anyone interested? Drop me a line and I will firm up the plans. Its ALL two lanes as I despise freeways unless absolutely required. Lots of scenic stops and gawking, so no iron butts, bring the ladies. This is SOUTHERN arizona, so if you have not been there, its almost al above 4000 ft elevation with rolling grass hills, trees, and depending on when we go, weather.
My best timing would be either Late fall, say November before T day, or beter yet would be February (could rain, sould snow in places, but usually clear and 65 perfect). Having done this on a m/c for years the weather can always go either way, but usually is really nice. Hey! What am I thinking?? Im in the p car, with aheater, a themos of coffee, and tunes! No bug splatter, chattering teeth, water running down the back of my leathers, goggle fogging ride!
Cheers

Gruppe B #367
1976 911s with 79 euro 3L
1995 Ford Powerstroke F250
1973 CZ400
1980 Maico 440
"If it aint broke, dont fix it"
Old 08-04-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

drop me an email if interested. At this point I have three cars interested. Looks like Feb timeframe.
bh
Gruppe B #367
1973 CZ400
1980 Maico 440
Old 09-25-2003, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Az911
If you are part of the AZPCA talk to them as they always have good turn out for drives

-Steve

72T RS look
88 911
96 993
Old 10-20-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

bump
Gruppe B #367
1973 CZ400
1980 Maico 440
Old 12-09-2003, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used to live in that part of the country. When you go to Bisbee, be sure to find the Mule Mountain tunnel and the road over the top of the mountain that was used before the tunnel was dug. That road is the site of the Bisbee Hillclimb. I don't know if they still run it, but the best part was coming back down through the tunnel after making a run. They didn't stop ordinary traffic from driving through the tunnel so you got to mix in with them in full-out racecars and blast the tunnel with open exhausts.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: