Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Never left, but not right

Starting off small, slow and easy.

I'm considering retirement this year from 35 years in home improvement only to start up again what I was doing before I got into construction. That isn't to say that I won't take a small job close by, I just don't want to depend on it anymore.

I'm going back to cars. I don't know how I'm going to proceed, but that's the plan. I might take a job with someone or I might share a shop. I might buy a business. The focus is going to be on chassis repair and development with bodywork like flares and bumpers included. I am looking for a Celette bench to install in a shop along with a lift.

I have a very talented member of the family who has the same number of years in collision repair on mostly high end imports with many, many Porsche projects to his credit. On tough and troublesome jobs, I can enlist his help in getting things set up and done right. For the time being, I will consider small jobs along these lines. If you have something of this nature that you would like to discuss. or just have some input, email me thru Pelican. I'd be happy to hear from you either way.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

San Diego

Any interest in San Diego ? If yes, e-mail me, I will e-mail you back my phone so we can discuss an opportunity. Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, here's an update: I have a line or two on a bench. I looked at a shop that qualified for my circumstances (if you tell them you work on cars and weld, the landlords/management companies run away), but it didn't pan out. I have to keep the overhead low, so I don't look at commercial/industrial parks. Another coming up in a week or two. I have somewhere between 3 and 6 cars lined up for work. Some may go elsewhere if I don't proceed soon.

The 1st is a '71 911S and it needs all the same repairs as I did to my own. Another is a 914 factory 6 that needs pans. Then, there's the other 914 that gets GT steel flares. I have a 356 owner very interested, another 356A that needs a front fender, and a 912 soft window Targa that just plain needs restoration. I have not seen either of latter 2 cars, but I Know the owners fairly well.

If I have the shop by Feb 26th, I might take a booth at the All Euro Swap to just chat with folks about their needs.

Wish me luck, I'm sure I will need it.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't live anywhere near you, but good luck, soundsl like a good endavour!!

Cheers
Old 01-28-2006, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks. Pics coming soon of my first outside, private job for someone else. It's extensive.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to das908kind
Way to go Milt! Did it work out for you? If not, keep plugging; you'll get more offers for work down the road and with the extra time you'll be able to fine tune your plans.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to shoguneagle
Thumbs up

Well, joining me in the "retired/retreaded" ranks? Happy for you!!! This little shop should keep you involved in something that you love doing.

Thanks for the help regarding the 914-GT. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in your endeavors. Best of luck and good fortune.

Steve Hurt
shoguneagle
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Steve and "das," thanks.

I'm well into a pretty good size project on an early S. I'm about to post some pics of my rebuilding of the left front sub-frame horn under the gas tank support. I'm sure the average body shop would have required a partial clip to accomplish what I'm doing. But, the car will have a much higher value if one can't see where a clip was grafted on the tub. I've hand made all the pieces of the "horn."

The owner is more than pleased. I have had some interest from a few for a "next" job, but so far no one has reserved the space for after the S leaves. ;D
Old 03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just a couple of pics

Here is the part that went in under and next to the battery box.

And here is a well known repair. I'd rather not do this again, but you know how that goes

Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
yikes! some retirement..........
Old 04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey, Cliff, believe it or not, I'm having a ball doing this. Not too many cars are in this kind of shape, I hope , but I've "saved" two now counting the Ragamuffin. Not a bad thing.

I still owe you for the favor you did for me on the Turbo valve covers. I still have them.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

OK, that car is finished and gone off to the finish bodywork guy. I have a short project on a '57 356 nose and battery box and then I'd like to get back to the 911s. Open to prospects.

I also install fiberglass parts.

Last edited by milt; 06-22-2006 at 06:33 AM..
Old 06-20-2006, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here's the 356 project:

Fender project (metalwork inside)
Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: