Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tell me about Phoenix, AZ

Just posted this on Off Topic, but thought I'd try here...

As some of you know, Julie and I are on a two(ish) year plan to move out to Portland, OR. To put it simply, Portland is the city we decided would best fit us. So Julie is going to finish her degree at Miami U (Ohio) and then we're just going to move out there....jobs or no. That's the plan, anyway...

I just got a call from my headhunter about a possibility in Phoenix, AZ. It's a company that also happens to have a small office in Portland, but at this time it's not big enough for a designer (that would be me), but the company is growing and there's high confidence that one might open in the next few years. In the meantime, the opportunity in Phoenix would mean an increase in pay with what looks to be a better company. Julie's current company also has an office in Scottsdale, so there's a possibility for a transfer for her, too. To top it off, Julie and I were at one time thinking Phoenix might be the place for us. Now I/we think the heat might be a bit extreme for us ultimately, but I'm sure we could deal with it for the time being, especially if it's a stepping stone to Portland. Hmm...

Anyway, I thought I'd drop a note here and ask of you Phoenixians what you think of the city and surrounding area. Be as honest as you like. We appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks!

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Move to Scottsdale you will not be disappaointed

Looking for a 996 Silver Cab 2002-2004
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
GFCC

I really like Phoenix. I don't like the rush hour traffic. I agree Scottsdale is very nice but a little over priced. I live in the Ahwatukee / Foothills just to the south of South Mountain. It has plenty of the things you need; shopping, places to eat, etc. It is like a small city unto itself. I am also only 5 miles from Firebird International Raceway, home of Bounduraunt (sp?) school of driving and 3 road corses where the PCA hold track events. There are also 2 other road tracks in the Phoenix metro.

You have all the major sports, if you like sports. There is a thriving art and music scene here.

The thing I like most about Phoenix is in 2 hours you can be in the pines and have a temp. change of about 30 degrees. There is even skiing in the state if it ever snows (up north).

I have been here for 14 years, I want to move back to Cincinnati, but that is for family reasons.

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i am a native. with global warming it is hot, but with mans wonderful inventions of a/c-beer-ice tea- and pools.............you should be able to handle it! crime????????? not alot since CCW laws in place(concealed carry weapons permit) and everyone owns guns..................lots of guns. illegal alien problem being tackled big time. property rates thru the roof. my paper route when i was young was down town scottsdale............it was a one horse town. i live in cave creek on dirt road w cactus, deer, snakes, scorpions, hawks, mtn lion, bobcats, javelina, etc. and wouldnt have it any other way! the west is best! 55 min flight to san diego 29bucks one way. 8 hr well in porsche 6 hr drive to dago. also i am only 35 minutes from down town during off traffic hours. good luck and enjoy. remember it is a right to work state, unions are pretty much gone.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Giant real estate appreciation for consecutive years in a row.....the Real Estate bubble looks like its starting..... it's slowed down around Nov '05 when a home would get on the market, and buyers would rush in and overbid your asking price in some instances by $50k+, and then the house would sell in a day or so. Now, almost 5 months later homes are taking 2-3 months to sell. Climate is nice year round all but 3 months of extreme 100+ dry heat. Lots of night life!

Crime was a problem before, but like Charleskieffner saidf, CCW makes it hard on crooks to steal.

Downside is there is a big prevalent drug problem, some calling it a "crank" epidemic in AZ. Mainly in the low income areas though. Although, the "upper crust" areas are not affected as much.

I just moved here 1wk ago for 6 months, but my business partners have lived here for over 5yrs, they basically gave me the inside scoop on things.

if you move because you like Phoenix, do it you will like it.
just make sure you have a pool to cool off in!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

just remember also in az. the summers are very very very HOT. buy cabin in prescott-flagstaff-pinetop to escape summers.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: